Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommytman

Apr 13, 2014
CT
Hey guys, I need help identifying some wood my tree guy dropped. It almost looks and smells like pine but has leaves and is pretty dense. I attached some pictures. It definitely appears like it's going to be a bear to split , but I'm hoping it's not junk wood.

Attachments

• DSCI0037.JPG
    DSCI0037.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 181
  • DSCI0038.JPG
    DSCI0038.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 182
  • DSCI0040.JPG
    DSCI0040.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 179
  • DSCI0042.JPG
    DSCI0042.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 182
Bark looks like hemlock to me. Are the leaves physically attached to the trunk or were they just in the load?

Leaves/twigs look like cherry...and the bark kinda does too. Now I'm conflicted ;lol

Yes the leaves are physically attached to the trunk, there are several branches. I had originally thought cherry but the grain didn't seem dark enough.

I'm gonna guess some kind of cherry then. Split pics would help

Looks like cherry and pine

Reactions: Applesister
The leaves are cherry and I see some rounds that are cherry. But the whorled limbs are pointing to a softwood.
I'm not good with softwood IDs.
Like someone said, a mix of the two, and thats highly possible. Sneaky...but possible.

The more I look at pic #2, the more I think you have two types of wood, cherry and some softwood

Those leaves are cherry, but the logs with all the branches are not

I have to agree with the others, it almost seems like that load contains 2 different species.

Yea you guys were all on point with the ID, in daylight I could tell there are definitely 2 species. The good news is its about a 50/50 split so I think it was worth taking on the pine for the free cherry (there is alot more than the pics show).

On a side note just muscling the pine logs around my gloves and shirt were covered in sap. I'm not sure how the west coast guys deal with it but what a pain. Thanks for all the replies.

Good call Wood Duck.

Reactions: HDRock
Status
Not open for further replies.