Wood ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hfd45178

Sep 25, 2014
Dutchess County, NY
Well I've been lurking around here for a while before joining and have gotten a lot of usefull info. I'm new to burning and am working on collecting wood for my new jotul f500. Have a friend with property that is offering a huge supply of wood however I'm not sure what it is. Hopefully someone has seen this type before and will have some good news about it. The trees no longer have any bark and have been down for about a year. The wood splits decent but is slightly stringy. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 135
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    370.7 KB · Views: 138
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 134
Very tough to tell from the pics. Best to have a split open so we can see the inside. I would also suggest elm.

If its dry, I would just call it firewood . Hard to tell from the pics , elm possibly.

It looks like Elm Standing dead at least 3 years .
Looks like starting to rot soft to punkie in the split pieces
I do a lot of Elm standing dead from my fence lines

Thank you for the replies. Looks like I will be heading over there for a few loads. Free wood seems hard to turn down even if it isn't the greatest.

Elm would also explain all the axe marks without a split!

Elm is the worst wood I have ever split. Pain from beginning to end. Decent firewood though in the end.

Some of the old farmer guys around me think dead standing Elm is ideal firewood. They all seek it. It burns hot and seasons shortly. When you see the slight yellowing inside the splits it means its starting to turn punky but it usually splits way better than a recently dead tree.
I think Elm is a really good medium btu wood. I think it produces more heat than cherry, its just not as available.

I grew up in Ithaca, when all the big elms were dying some decades ago. We lost some really beautiful old trees from our yard, but put them through our new (mid-1970s) VC Defiant to heat the house.

Between being the toughest wood in the world to split and getting horrible cases of poison ivy from the vines on the trees, I still have a soft spot for elm. I find the occasional smaller one here in NH... just processed one that looked pretty close to the pics above. Good burning, if you catch it before it gets too punky.

They're good for campfires, too. Put couple bigguns on the fire and they'll show nice red coals all night.

Status
Not open for further replies.