Wood ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AnalogKid

Burning Hunk
Oct 22, 2012
CT
Any pros want to help me identify this stuff? Smells nice, real flaky 'crisp' bark. Rather hard too, gave my freshly-sharpened MS250 a workout.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416601120.519546.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416601148.585811.jpg

Some kind of pine. Any leaves available?

No leaves. And I'm 98% sure it's not a pine varietal. I can see why one may think that though, as the bark has a hemlock-sorta look to it.

Here's the net haul, will take the Fiskars to it in the next few days.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416604602.765078.jpg

My guess is white oak. It looks very similar to one I took down last year and I see white oak leaves littering the ground around the pile.
I wouldn't bet $100 but still...I'm pretty certain.

Looks kind of like Shagbark Hickory. I just cut down a shagbark and processed it. Bark is very hard and crisp, deep color center. splits a little stringy, but decently well by hand. Here are some pics of mine for comparision. I know mine is shagbark because I had leaves to go off of.

And its a dense wood that will dull the piss out of your saw.

I was going to say some type of hickory but didn't want to sound like a dumb@ss. :)

I will look for some leaves when I go back down to split. There are definitely a bunch down there because I've been cleaning them up all fall! I want to say it is a smaller leaf. Much smaller than oak or maple, but not as small as locust.

My guess is white oak. It looks very similar to one I took down last year and I see white oak leaves littering the ground around the pile.
I wouldn't bet $100 but still...I'm pretty certain.

Definitely not oak, Rib.

If you take your Fiskar, wind her up good and it barely splits, good sign its hickory. ;lol I put my X27 through the wringer here. Some pieces were pains, others, split right easy. Judging by the size, your tree was a lot bigger then mine which is why your bark is a lot flakier.

Growth rings from original post are very wide. Split one and lets see the inside.

Just had a thought, do all hickory types produce nuts? Because this one did not.

In the close up pic of the round, you see that small leaf at about 7:00, I believe that is one of its leaves. Looks similar to a black birch leaf. Could very well be a leaf from a birch because there are several of those near by, but I believe this tree had small leaves like that.

Last edited:
Ya, if it's hickory you'll get a complete workout at the splitting stump. I usually have to whack a round half dozen times before my Fiskars even gains entry. And then I have to drive the tool through with a sledge.
But there's a big reward when it comes time to burn. I think its only BTU rival is black locust.

Osage orange? I read here it's harder than woodpecker lips

The elm picture you just posted looks nothing like the tree in your original photos. If your wood is elm, I'll eat my hat.
I've felled many, many elms and nary a one has had shaggy bark nor dark heartwood. Hickory? Most likely. Probably pignut.

The elm picture you just posted looks nothing like the tree in your original photos. If your wood is elm, I'll eat my hat.
I've felled many, many elms and nary a one has had shaggy bark nor dark heartwood. Hickory? Most likely. Probably pignut.

Here's another pic, courtesy of Google, looks pretty darn close. The leaf is in previous pic is spot on.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416630601.628819.jpg

My first though when looking at bark was an Elm variety. as to specific type that eludes me.

First inclination is Elm. It's not any hickory I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.