Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BHall

Nov 18, 2014
Middle TN
Started building our new home and this tree had to go...what is it?
wood_zps98058aff.jpg

wood2_zps51f6159b.jpg

wood1_zpsae50b084.jpg

wood4_zps268b7445.jpg

Soft Maple.

The bark looks like some form of elm, but the heartwood doesn't so much... So, I'm not sure.

Maybe red maple

I think Red Maple. Silver Maple is similar so I am not sure which one, but most Silvers have much flakier bark than your tree.

Reactions: Ralphie Boy
Cherry is 19.5 or 19.1 MBTU /cord
Soft maple is in the same ballpark give or take.
It will dry well if you give it a full year. It can help coax along harder to start woods.

Soft maple - probably red.
Its good fuel. Lights well, coals decent, middle of the road BTU. I try to grab some every year. Excellent shoulder season or cold stove fuel.

idk... looks an awful lot like hickory to me. I've spent the last 3 weeks splitting up a big hickory here and boy that looks like it. ... I see you're in TN. Prob similar to other southern states in that we don't have a lot of big maples like that as they do up north. . would love to see any leafs from the tree if you have them

Thanks all for the information - I am slowly attempting to learn my native trees (outside of red oak, white oak)
Gibson- Unfortunately no leaves as this tree has been standing dead which was the only reason we cut it down. If it would have been living would still be in the ground, we like trees around on the property.

I will try to get some additional photos up as I begin splitting the wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.