Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Copper44

Oct 26, 2014
Mid-Michigan
Cleaning up a pile from some work I had done to extend my driveway. Based on how light it is I'm not even sure if it's shoulder season wood. Don't have any splits, can anyone identify?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426273817.979989.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426273828.348306.jpg

Hmm I'm was surprised by how lite it was. I have lots of mulberrys on my property. I will have to go compare the bark to some of the live ones.
This has been cut and laying in for about a year and half. I also cut up some honey locust yesterday and that was definitely as heavy as I remember!!

Growth rings are huge. Weird to me.

Mulberry.
Could possibly be Hedge.

Hedge

Not sure if hedge has that thin ring of white sapwood but I know mulberry does.

Sassafras

Mulberry or Hedge, and it looks like the tree was alive, so I don't know why it would seem lightweight. Maybe you are getting stronger. Been lifting?

Mulberry or Hedge, and it looks like the tree was alive, so I don't know why it would seem lightweight. Maybe you are getting stronger. Been lifting?
Ha probably should be. It was alive when it was taken down, but that was in 09/2013. Just been laying log length with the rest of a big pile since.

It is substantially less weight then the honey locust that was cut at the same time.

Stick it in a hole in the ground and come back in 40 years. If it's still there, it's black locust.

That last split isn't hedge, not orange enough.

fv

Status
Not open for further replies.