Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris2879

Nov 8, 2010
Western MA
Can you guys help me out. What are your thoughts. It was rather stringy when bring split.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20150424_144604.jpg
    20150424_144604.jpg
    660.2 KB · Views: 170
x2 red oak.

That was my guess as well, but the smooth bark really threw me off. Here is a picture of the log itself.

Thanks for the quick response!

Attachments

• 20150424_145300.jpg
    20150424_145300.jpg
    545.8 KB · Views: 149
Bottom pic looks like Birch top splits look like honey locust.

Red oak. Smooth bark is fairly typical of a younger tree... Looks like some maple (not sure hard or soft) at the bottom of top picture too.

The split stuff in your first picture is absolutely Oak. Is the wood in the second picture all from the same tree?

Yes. The wood in the back of the trailer (closest to camera) is the same as what is shown in the split, the stuff in the front of the trailer I think is black birch.

Red Oak definitely, its just a younger tree. It typically has a one inch band of different colored wood just inside the bark and a pink/ salmon color to all the rest of the log.
And like oaky grain.
The BB will have that strong mint smell, cant miss it if you are doing the cutting.

Cutting bb smells great for sure. Yes, the other row in the first picture has a lot of maple in it.

Thanks for the quick reply everyone.

It is Black Oak. Notice the yellow/orange inner bark. The smooth bark is because it was a young tree or limbs of a large tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.