Wood ID.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigJ273

Minister of Fire
Feb 15, 2015
Maryland
I scored a tree that was cut down yesterday. It's about two cords worth. I believe it's white oak. I've attached a few photos. Any ideas?? Was growing in eastern Maryland.

Attachments

• IMG_0974.jpg
    IMG_0974.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0975.jpg
    IMG_0975.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_0976.jpg
    IMG_0976.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0977.jpg
    IMG_0977.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 180
Is that good or bad?
Well after a quick google search I learned that willow sucks as firewood. But after looking at some ages of willow trees they don't look anything like the tree I have. My rounds are straight with very few knots.

Perhaps what we call Mountain Ash around here

I'm no tree expert, and I live on the shore... I don't really see willows around here though, but that leaf would be willow, unless thats a yard piece thats just sitting on the round... However I am just confirming that is not white oak. Our white oaks have normal checkered bark like that for the first 20' or so, but then they turn into a shag like bark for the remainder. I love white oaks, but not because of burning, because I'm a huge deer hunter and the deer tear those acorns up lol...

I was able to search Google street view and found a photo of the tree before it was cut down. I've attached it. If that helps anyone. Thanks again.

Attachments

• Capture5-19-2015-12.58.10 PM.jpg
    Capture5-19-2015-12.58.10 PM.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 124
That does appear to be a willow tree. It certainly isn't white oak.

Status
Not open for further replies.