Wood ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prichan

Burning Hunk
Aug 17, 2013
Maine
Hello folks anyone have an idea of this wood? I think it is maple, maybe silver. Thanks woodid1.jpg woodid2.jpg

Looks like poppl( aspen ). How bout a cleaner pick or three
Happened to get a truckload cut to split length, worth the trouble? Read might be ok for early spring or fall.

Attachments

• popple3.jpg
    popple3.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 245
  • poppl4.jpg
    poppl4.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 144
Definitely not silver maple... at least not as it grows in the lower states. All wood can burn hot, just depends on how fast you want to shovel it in. I suspect this would be one of the faster shoveling woods, but certainly burnable and will make heat.

Reactions: CTYank
Aspen

Reactions: Osagebndr
Definitely poplar. My relatives in Sudbury burn poplar and birch all the time as they don't have a lot of hardwood available there. My dad calls it northern hardwood ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.