wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 17, 2015
Baltimore
Good morning folks,

I have been a member for a year or so, bit mostly reading and learning from old firewood affectionados.

I bring a question to those experienced arborists. It appears that I have many splits of these wood, and originally I thought that this was Ash, but now I'm unsure.

Can someone verify what type of firewood I have?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20150914_100047.jpg
    20150914_100047.jpg
    779.8 KB · Views: 196
  • 20150914_100024.jpg
    20150914_100024.jpg
    584.6 KB · Views: 159
Good morning folks,

I have been a member for a year or so, bit mostly reading and learning from old firewood affectionados.

I bring a question to those experienced arborists. It appears that I have many splits of these wood, and originally I thought that this was Ash, but now I'm unsure.

Can someone verify what type of firewood I have?

Thanks!

Looks like red oak to me.

Thanks for the quick response. It does make sense that the piece I tested a few days ago was measuring at 49% in the core after I split to check the moisture. It's been CSS for well over 6 months and I read on the forum that Ash dries pretty fast, which lead me to question my original assessment.

Looks like I have to go through my wood pile and pick out the oak pieces and stack them separately. At least they'll be good to go for 2016-2017 season.

pick out the oak pieces and stack them separately. At least they'll be good to go for 2016-2017 season.
That's what I'd do. Oak is great-burning wood, once it's dry.

That's definitely Red Oak as the others have mentioned. Give it another year and you will be happy with it. Give it another 2 and you'll be really happy with it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.