Wood Id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BadHog

Oct 13, 2015
Northern Illinois
Hey Everyone,

New to the site, been reading for a while now and just starting to get into wood burning, that is, building the wood piles until the wife okays the wood stove.

I had a bunch of logs delivered a few weeks back and I'm spending the weekends cutting and splitting the rounds up and wondering if I could get some help identifying this particular species.

Notes:

very heavy, very easy to split with maul... guessing some kind of hard maple perhaps ( Sugar or Norway?)

Thanks for any help...

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 142
Norway Maple by the bark and the splits

The bark looks like hickory. Probably maple though. It's not silver maple so it's good stuff.

Norway Maple. Bark like Ash, but usually with a dark heartwood like the wood in your pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.