wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ihalmiut

Jan 23, 2016
East central Minnesota
Hello Friends. I thought I had this wood species sorted out, but I dunno. It looks like red elm to me but my buddy says he just had a tree man ID what he thinks is the same on
IMG_0053.JPG
IMG_0055.JPG
his lot, and believes it hickory. Any ideas? The twigs are alternating.

It looks like linden/ basswood. If so, a light, quick burning wood.

Hello Friends. I thought I had this wood species sorted out, but I dunno. It looks like red elm to me but my buddy says he just had a tree man ID what he thinks is the same on View attachment 176332 View attachment 176333 his lot, and believes it hickory. Any ideas? The twigs are alternating.
I would say hickory with a couple beech maybe cherry that decided to grow at the base

Bark doesn't quite look right for red elm. Based on the "stab wound" look and chevron markings of where the branches stem from the tree I would say its in the poplar/basswood type family.

Leaves will tell for sure. Not a maple though if growth is alternate, as all maples have opposite branching.

Thanks for all the replies my friends!! I'll just wait until the leaves pop as I've plenty to cut that I know what the species are. A few nice big dead elm and plenty of oak. Basswood seems to be what it is. I'll post it later. Minnesota is warm, crazy warm. Sap in the maples has shut off until another cold snap, which isn't in the forecast. Collected 25 gallons. River should open in a few days, almost is now. Sure is weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.