Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riff

Burning Hunk
Nov 3, 2015
Virginia
I cut this one down the other day as any larger and it would pose a threat to the house in the storm. I've never quite figured out what it is, there are no flowers or nuts produced by it and we have a couple more on the property so I'd just like to know for curiosity sake. They grow in the rockier, drier part of the property, none are located close to the springs or water.

Cross section:
20160309_095621.jpg

Trunk:
20160309_095631.jpg

Branches:
20160309_095644.jpg

Branch tips as best the phone would allow:
20160309_095735.jpg

Black cherry or an ornamental cherry 100%. Rosy heartwood and an orange sap ring. It should smell sweet on the end or a split.

there are no flowers or nuts produced by it
Looks like Black Cherry. If so, keep an eye on 'em for some small cherries in season...good wildlife tree, and the berries are edible.

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
Burnt corn flake bark is a dead give away for black cherry

Reactions: Fred Wright
Yes, Black Cherry. It probably does bear fruit, but the birds eat the cherries before you get to see them.

Black cherry as stated above seasons quickly nice burning.

Looks like Black Cherry. If so, keep an eye on 'em for some small cherries in season...good wildlife tree, and the berries are edible.
Mmm explains why the local deer like to hang out in that part of the property during summer. Had always just figured it was a good spot to bed down during the heat of the day.

Yes, Black Cherry. It probably does bear fruit, but the birds eat the cherries before you get to see them.

More than likely. We have one cherry tree that we knew of on the place and have gotten cherries off of it only once. Spent a day collecting what we could reach, the birds had the rest picked clean within a day or two after that.

+1 for black cherry ~ or wild cherry as it was called when I lived in Virginny. They grew like weeds in the Hampton Roads area. Seen a lot of 'em cut back or down over the years. They'll grow anywhere a bird can perch and were often regarded as nuisance trees.

There was a good-sized specimen by the fence behind the house we grew up in. Unfortunately for the tree it was also growing over the clothesline. Mom eventually had the neighbor man take it down. It produced clusters of little cherries that the birds ate ~ and crapped dark red stains on Mom's laundry. Mom said "That tree has got to go."

Status
Not open for further replies.