Wood id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzo's Dad

Feeling the Heat
Dec 16, 2013
Canton, CT
I'm pretty sure this is some kind on elm, It was dead and I took it down today. Upset because the bark looked like oak but definitely not ef5f7dc5617b020c68055c4136d1620a.jpgc49ca310a4b8ba74939c8a8e537ee2ee.jpg23dc3efe70c715be60525301fa8631cc.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

aspen (aka poplar). guessing bigtooth (Populus grandidentata) by the bark texture. never burned any, but I gather it's quick-drying & quick-burning

I'm pretty sure this is some kind on elm, It was dead and I took it down today. Upset because the bark looked like oak but definitely notView attachment 183512View attachment 183513View attachment 183514

Assuming it is native, I'd guess bigtooth aspen (mature bark visible at the top right photo in the group of photos on the page linked below)

http://www.friendsofthewildflowergarden.org/pages/plants/aspen_bigtooth.html

The bark looks very close to a mature bigtooth aspen, and the wood is light in color. If you're close to the spot, see if the upper branches are lighter in color and have a tight (not blocky) bark with diamond-shaped spots (lenticels). Is the wood not dense/heavy, like you'd expect for a pine? If it splits easy, it isn't an elm, but it sure could be some funky, non-native tree if this is from an urban/suburban woodlot. Based on the other vegetation, though (sugar maple and pin cherry leaves, lack of invasive herbaceous plants, I'd assume this is in a decent forest).

Can you send a close-up photo of the wood, one where I could see better detail of the rings?

aspen (aka poplar). guessing bigtooth (Populus grandidentata) by the bark texture. never burned any, but I gather it's quick-drying & quick-burning
You beat me by just a few minutes!!
You're right that it is quick drying and quick burning, it doesn't make for great firewood, but it does split easily and makes decent kindling.

Yes it is poplar. Splits much easier than elm but nowhere near the BTUs.

Aspen is NOT 'poplar' ! Aspen (populous grandidentata) which is sometimes called 'popple' or 'quaking ash' is a tree most commonly used for pulpwood, shavingswood, or sawn into pallet lumber.
yellow Poplar (liriodendron tulipifera) is a big tall straight timber tree commonly harvested for sawlogs.

not trying to be a but I just wanted to clear up any confusion

Aspen is NOT 'poplar' ! Aspen (populous grandidentata) which is sometimes called 'popple' or 'quaking ash' is a tree most commonly used for pulpwood, shavingswood, or sawn into pallet lumber.
yellow Poplar (liriodendron tulipifera) is a big tall straight timber tree commonly harvested for sawlogs.

not trying to be a but I just wanted to clear up any confusion

Yellow poplar, also known as tulip poplar, has nothing to do with real poplars other than they are all trees. Yellow poplar is essentially a Mongolia and should never have had poplar in it's name.

Aspen, meanwhile, is a true poplar. Or so closely related that they are indistinguishable.

Don't let common names mislead you. When it comes to burning properties the latin names are most important.

View attachment 183532

Everyone on here is correct about yellow/tulip poplar versus those in the Populus genus. They're both lower-end firewoods, in terms of density and BTU content. I've got tons of tulip poplar trim in my house (clear finish, beautiful with its yellow/green/brown heartwood) and a friend of mine has cucumber tree (a close relative of tulip poplar) cabinets, which are beautiful. Tulip poplar is often used for structural wood in upholstered furniture and inside cabinets. Also, the bark is used for siding, and holds up well.

I've got to say that I'm sticking with bigtooth aspen, but this recent photo sure looks odd. The staining is strange and unusual for most Populus spp. When my wife wants to help with me splitting wood, I find some aspen for her and we eventually work it down to kindling.

Remember, it all burns and gives off heat!

Status
Not open for further replies.