Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loren

Dec 21, 2015
North Minnesota
any ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    311.4 KB · Views: 390
Those are from different trees in the first picture, correct? The one on the right appears to be Maple.

Those are from different trees in the first picture, correct?
I think it's the same log, one end-grain pic and one bark. Not sure what it is but I'm guessing it's some pretty good wood. ==c

Thanks guys, both pics are of the same piece of wood. It is very heavy. Was thinking it was hard maple but the bark did not look like that of hard maple or at least what I have seen in the past.

Definitely maple. I was thinking red maple. I have not had much experience with hard maple though.

Reactions: JSeery
I don't believe this is any type of Maple, with those pronounced end-grain growth rings. Kind of a rough cut on the end-grain, so it's harder to see than usual. This ID has piqued my interest and I hope somebody can get it...

Try to find a cluster of leaves as well. Because the bark on a single tree can vary with age, it's not always easiest to identify off of. Seeing if the tree is opposite or alternate, smooth or ridged, etc. can really narrow the possibilities down. Just make sure you arent picking up random leaves, you've got to be sure they are from that tree.

I don't believe this is any type of Maple, with those pronounced end-grain growth rings. Kind of a rough cut on the end-grain, so it's harder to see than usual. This ID has piqued my interest and I hope somebody can get it...
X2............. Can't see any rays, but the bark (especially the darker) and pronounced rings and ring structure look very much like an oak variety. Red most likely since white oak rays are almost always very visible and reds can be very faint. Just a guess, but would love to see it 100% ID.

Can't see any rays, but the bark (especially the darker) and pronounced rings and ring structure look very much like an oak variety. Red most likely
Yeah, some of the stuff in the background of the first pic does look Red Oak-y doesn't it? But that sapwood looks really wide compared to the Reds I see in the woods. Those growth rings are wide so maybe a fast grower with more sapwood? I don't know...

Exactly Woody Stover - the stuff in the background in pic #1 and the piece on top in pc #2 is Red Oak, which the bark is totally different. Therefore I had ruled out Red Oak but I certainly could be wrong. Looking forward to cutting and splitting it this weekend and will post more pics. One other thing - I found it in the brush dump and what attracted me to it was there were some apple branches on top of it. Was thinking it may be apple but not thinking that would be possible and the bark did not match.

the stuff in the background in pic #1 and the piece on top in pc #2 is Red Oak, which the bark is totally different.
Yeah, that Red bark is much darker, isn't it...

Ahhh. Ok that makes sense. I thought all the stuff in the pics were the same tree. Still would like to know the id. Looking forward to some extra pics. Apple should be able to id with a fresh split smell test.

I can't give 100% on bark alone but I'll go 90% that it's a sweet gum. It's heavy and wet when green and light as paper when dry. Smells kinda unpleasant, burns fast and hard as all get out to split. My neat guess would be green ash. I'm not familiar with hard maple, unless your talking about sugar maple?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Last edited:
I had some the same or similar.
Dense but feels like balsa wood now.
Dried oddly fast. It's instant ashes.
Glad there were only a few rounds of that available last April.

I had some the same or similar.
Dense but feels like balsa wood now.
Dried oddly fast. It's instant ashes.
Glad there were only a few rounds of that available last April.

Sweet gum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cut it this weekend. Wow. It was tough on my Stihl 391. Any different thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    236.9 KB · Views: 160
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 161
Well I've never cut or split any sweet gum. We don't much if any in my area. The bark could definitely qualify, but two concerns remain. 1. Shouldn't be hard on the saw (from what I've heard/read). 2. You are way out of the native range, unless it was planted. I know that it is found in non-native areas, but to what extent I'm not sure. Still a question mark for me.

It all looks maple-ish to me. I've come across several varieties with similar-but-different bark.

Status
Not open for further replies.