Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
+1 on hickory, though not sure what kind. Looks a lot like some pignut hickory I was splitting last year but I don't have much experience with other kinds.

i ain't never seen hickory split that easy/clean. even a straight forest grown pecker pole is stringy and fights the split.
Maybe shagbark and a few others but there are hickory species that split much more easily as well.

I'm not a hickory expert though, I personally hate it; takes just as long as Oak to season, has tremendous bug issues/problems, is more difficult to split... in my neck of the woods I'll happily step over a hickory to get to the Oak... I'm in a position where I can be picky though; I don't blame people that can't be as picky, it's good heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.