Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nathansdad

Oct 28, 2018
Central PA
Found just one chunk of this at my local yard waste compost site and have no idea what it is. The split pieces are definitely a yellowish-green color and the who chunk was about 7 in. in diameter and very heavy for it's size, like heavier that same size red oak. I thought maybe red pine at fitst site but the heaviness of it and yellow green split color say no, and no pine smell. Any ideas? I thought split piece kinda looks like locust, but I'm just learning different types of wood spiecies.

Attachments

• 20181028_120117.jpg
    20181028_120117.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 215
  • 20181028_112930.jpg
    20181028_112930.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 210
  • 20181028_113203.jpg
    20181028_113203.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 202
Tie bark looks like hemlock. Splits easy, dries fast. But still a soft wood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U know what, come to think of it the yellowish green wood does remind me of hemlock I've found before but it was much smaller in diameter and the bark was dark gray. Maybe its a different variety or it gets more red with age?

It looks like eastern redbud (Cercis canadensis).
http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=43
Split redbud has a very characteristic yellow-green/ olive colored heartwood. As a small understory tree it usually doesn't make a good share of the wood pile, but it is a legume (pea pod like fruit), and its wood is dense so it should make for decent burning wood (what little there is of it).

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
It looks like eastern redbud (Cercis canadensis).
http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=43
Split redbud has a very characteristic yellow-green/ olive colored heartwood. As a small understory tree it usually doesn't make a good share of the wood pile, but it is a legume (pea pod like fruit), and its wood is dense so it should make for decent burning wood (what little there is of it).
You beat me to it, yes it is Redbud, I cut some from my in laws place a few years ago when they were selling their house as the people moving in wanted it gone.

Good ID!

Sound like its Eastern Redbud it is. Yes it is very dense, was outside making sure I put all my tools away before rain came yesterday and picked up a slpit again and yes it is extremely dense for the split size. Had never heard of it till now, thanks for the ID help!