wood id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

allhandsworking

Feeling the Heat
Sep 30, 2008
NYC
Sorry no picture. I just cut and split some wood from a tree that fell during last night storm. I'm in NY it had rough bark gray brown. round leaves about the size of your fist with serrated edges. The wood split easily and was mustard yellow? I thought it might be beech but beech has smaller leaves? I think?

is it quality wood to burn

if its ironwood you should be pleased

It was a large tree about 2' thick trunk

You could post a picture here, with bark, wood grain, a story about the tree, fruit/seeds, and leaves, and get 15 different answers as to what it is. Trying to do the same without a picture? Priceless.

Cottonwood or quaking aspen would be my guess - either way a true poplar.

And like others said - need a pic. Define rough? Define gray / brown?

So far, I guess all we can say for certain is that:

1. Yes, it is a tree of some sort.
2. Yes, it will burn.

All the other details are still up in the air.

Reminds me of a traffic case I had to sit on the jury for. One of the main arguments of the case was the color of the car. Cop said blue. Guy said gray. When asked on the stand what is the most common difference of opinion of the details on a ticket the cop said the color of the car. Throw a dark night in the equation, all bets are off.

piscassic said:
my guess: eastern hophornbeam (ironwood).
Where are you in the Seacoast? I live off Piscassic Rd in Newfields. Not much ironwood around here. Sounds like poplar to me too.

Mustard yellow to me means mulberry. But I wouldn't call the leaves round, or fist-sized.

i'm in newmarket, off grant rd., on the piscassic. got quite a bit of E. hophornbeam out back in the understory, though none very big (9 inches max). lots of crooked and leaning suckers to thin out. splits easier than i would have guessed based on how dense it is.

Doesnt poplar have a greenish gray bark

Status
Not open for further replies.