wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Archer39

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2009
Pottstown PA
It was super easy to split and was standing dead for about 2 years with no leafs.

IMG_0236.jpg

Picture011.jpg

cant tell "pic fuzzy" but wood looks like hickory but the bark doesnt look shaggy .

looks like a tight grain dense wood ,im voting for pignut hickory

Poplar, HUH. I would also say Pignut Hickory, but it is a little fuzzy, the picture I mean :lol:

Second pic - the pizza slice looks more like hickory, but the 2 splits in the upper left corner do look a little like the poplar I just split, however what I split has more of a yellowish green color to it.

Archie - did that slice come from the same tree/round?

i'd say white oak as well

Bark looks like White Oak

Easy split= Oak

The grain looks like Oak.

The only thing that troubles me is the color. Looks a bit reddish for white oak. But the bark does NOT look like Red nor Chestnut Oak.

Let's see the leaves, that should clear up the question.

And because I like to place my foot in my mouth . . . no freakin way is that Aspen. BTW, if it is Oak, no point in trying to burn it this year. If it ends up being Oak I'll trade you even up Aspen for your oak. That way you can burn right away. I'm helpful like that :blank:

heartwood sure doesnt look like white oak ,but the bark does ..you got any better pics or are we gonna guess all day lol

How heavy is it? Looks like Hickory which would be heavy even though it was dead, but also looks like Maple to me. You're in Pottstown; take it into Kring's Stoveshop and ask Carl what it is-tel him Les sent you, his "Bonanza" buddy....man, I MISS that restaraunt....

My firewood never carries ID.

(ducking and running)

Peace,
- Sequoia

its not like any of the Poplar i have ever seen. Yes it is heavy and has a smell. I will have to take a few more pictures when the lighting is better and when i find my real camera.

I'm surprised no one said ash. I just cut down a dead ash last week, it looks pretty close to what I had. The pictures look pretty good to me. Maybe it's the couple of drinks I had. ;-P

Some variation of a white oak. The "two-tone" color of the wood, lighter on the outside, a little darker on the inside, makes me think it is an oak species.

smokingolf said:
I'm surprised no one said ash. I just cut down a dead ash last week, it looks pretty close to what I had. The pictures look pretty good to me. Maybe it's the couple of drinks I had. ;-P

i dont think it is ash. The bark is a lot different.

I am leaning more towards white oak myself. With my hickory I usually see more of a two tone color than what the picture shows.

I'm going with ash but it is hard to tell by the pictures. Splits easy. I don't think it is poplar

learnin to burn said:
Second pic - the pizza slice looks more like hickory, but the 2 splits in the upper left corner do look a little like the poplar I just split, however what I split has more of a yellowish green color to it.

Archie - did that slice come from the same tree/round?

yep all the same tree. The top half of the tree was hanging over broken off for about a year.

Need more and better pictures

finally got some better pictures. I left them large so they will be easier to identify.

IMG_0254.gif

IMG_0253.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.