Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This came from a area that has some Ash and Basswood.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_0318-1.jpg
    100_0318-1.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 516
thats not ash

Todd said:
The bark looks like Ash.
That is what I would say as well.

looks something from the cottonwood /willow family ..we need more pics

interchangabLEE said:
lexybird said:
looks something from the cottonwood /willow family ..we need more pics

I'll eat willow till I gets cottonmouth ifn that ain't ASH!!!!

Still doesnt look like ash to me not even an old one, but Iam not from the east and if your eating somthing I am sure your right.

That's Ash; see how it has that green fungus growing near the top part of it-that happens with Ash.

Fatawan said:
Yep--Ash--the bark that looks like a metal mesh gives it away.
That's a great analogy! I was just wondering the other day how to really describe it.

smokinjay said:
thats not ash

smokin the more I look at a picture of ash and basswood bark the more I think its basswood. If I can get up there this weekend I'll cut it up and take a picture of the wood.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
thats not ash

smokin the more I look at a picture of ash and basswood bark the more I think its basswood. If I can get up there this weekend I'll cut it up and take a picture of the wood.

zap
False.

fraame_bark02_web400gf.jpg

ikessky said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
thats not ash

zap
False.

fraame_bark02_web400gf.jpg

More basswood on our property than ash, also the bark is soft which makes me think it is basswood. Will have the answer for Saturday night.

Zap

zapny said:
More basswood on our property than ash, also the bark is soft which makes me think it is basswood. Will have the answer for Saturday night.

Zap
I'm just giving you a hard time! I've cut down a couple basswood thinking they were white ash.

ikessky said:
zapny said:

Zap
I'm just giving you a hard time! I've cut down a couple basswood thinking they were white ash.

I hope it's ash, I have to cut it up to open the trail so it will be firewood ash or basswood.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.