wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohio woodburner

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2009
NW Ohio
Not sure what i have here besides firewood :lol:

Attachments

• wood-1.jpg
    wood-1.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 437
  • 122309_1631[00][1].jpg
    122309_1631[00][1].jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 429
Looks like the poplar that I have around my house. Maybe good kindling.

Somehow it doesn't look dark enough for sassafras.

Backwoods Savage said:
Somehow it doesn't look dark enough for sassafras.

same here I would guess cotton

Sassafras, burns great, splits even better, lots of it around here. Watch it when it burns, pops a lot, throws coals along way.

That looks like it would have been one magnificent Sassafras or a fairly average aspen, so I'll go with aspen. I don't see many large, straight Sassafras. Around here Sassafras is mostly an understory tree, but aspen get tall and straight, and some get pretty large.

Wood Duck said:
That looks like it would have been one magnificent Sassafras or a fairly average aspen, so I'll go with aspen. I don't see many large, straight Sassafras. Around here Sassafras is mostly an understory tree, but aspen get tall and straight, and some get pretty large.
around here they probably average about 12" DBH, also found in a lot of under brush, but mainly in old fence rows.

exactLEE said:
Eeder sassy or cottonwud!
Got any pics of top branches?
I'll try and get a pic tomorrow. Its a nice straight tree that came down. Real shallow roots

I'd say cottonwood from the pic, but then you say it was a nice straight tree, and I have never seen a straight cottonwood, or one with shallow roots. whats it smell like?

ohio woodburner said:
exactLEE said:
Eeder sassy or cottonwud!
Got any pics of top branches?
I'll try and get a pic tomorrow. Its a nice straight tree that came down. Real shallow roots

Around here you just don't find straight sassafras. They are crooked growers for sure. Love cutting them though. Sweet smell.

I would guess Sassafras. We have some good sized straight ones here. If it is Sass. it will split like butter being that straight.

what's sassafrass?

I'm guessing it's cottonwood. How does it split? I believe cottonwood is named after the way the wood fibers pull apart when split, they get a little fluffy.

benjamin said:
what's sassafrass?

I'm guessing it's cottonwood. How does it split? I believe cottonwood is named after the way the wood fibers pull apart when split, they get a little fluffy.
I thought it had to do with the "cotton" that falls from the tree nearly all summer.

Didnt get anymore pics of that tree today but a did split a few rounds split easy i smelled it and it smells like a spruce first thing i thought of was of one of those air freshner trees

ohio woodburner said:
Didnt get anymore pics of that tree today but a did split a few rounds split easy i smelled it and it smells like a spruce first thing i thought of was of one of those air freshner trees
Do you know what Sassafras smells like?

webby3650 said:
ohio woodburner said:

No Like one of those air freshner trees? :lol:

ohio woodburner said:
webby3650 said:
ohio woodburner said:

No Like one of those air freshner trees? :lol:
In this case Sassafras smells just like one of those air freshener trees! ;-)

Wrong post in wrong thread

Status
Not open for further replies.