Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CodyWayne718

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2009
Kentucky
the bark fell off the one on the left, it was hard as heck to split, the one on the right was easy to split, about an inch from the outside is punk and has mushrooms or something growin on the bark, i need a tree id book for dummies. thanks fellas

Attachments

• 100_1598.jpg
    100_1598.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 340
  • 100_1599.jpg
    100_1599.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 331
  • 100_1600.jpg
    100_1600.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 337
Without bark, your going to have to sand it down and put tongue oil or polyurethane on it for an id.

That is pretty tough to ID, but around here, standing dead oaks get fungus like the ones on your wood, they can get punky on the outside and remain solid on the inside, they can have deeply furrowed bark, sort of like yours seems to have, and the wood is reddish in many oaks. I am going with oak, maybe Chestnut Oak?

Pretty typical of red oak.

Wish I could see a close up of the grain in good focus, but I'm pretty sure it's cherry. Thin bark, lack of open porosity and medulary rays. Cherry can get pretty punky if it sits on the ground, and it can grow mushrooms in that state just fine. How does it smell in the middle when split? Both oak and cherry have very distinctive smells, cherry vastly nicer than oak.

Does not look like red oak at all to me. Grain is just wrong.

I agree with Battenkiller, looks like cherry. I cut down quite a bit, and some is easy to split some hard.

One on the left appears to be a kind of elm. A little too pink for the American elm I've had the misfortune of handling. A better view of the end grain (more contrast to make out the rings) would be helpful.

Leaning black cherry on the other one. First though was oak, but just doesn't seem to jibe with the details I can make out.

Battenkiller said:
Wish I could see a close up of the grain in good focus, but I'm pretty sure it's cherry. Thin bark, lack of open porosity and medulary rays. Cherry can get pretty punky if it sits on the ground, and it can grow mushrooms in that state just fine. How does it smell in the middle when split? Both oak and cherry have very distinctive smells, cherry vastly nicer than oak.

Does not look like red oak at all to me. Grain is just wrong.

What is a medulary ray?

Status
Not open for further replies.