Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolaGracia

Dec 24, 2009
Northeast Ohio
OK..OK, I know I am asking for wood ID without a picture, but my kid busted my camera.

Anyway I have some rounds which I cut up this summer and now am getting around to splitting them. When I cut them they seemed like a really hard wood, and were very heavy, now they are very light. I can pick up a large round (24" diamter, 16" height") with only moderate effort. Once I split the round in half, splitting the reset is so easy I only have to swing about half force and the splitter cuts right through like butter.

The bark tells me it is a Tulip tree (AKA poplar?). At first I thought it was ash, but after walking around comparing the bark to some standing ash and tulip trees on my property today, I am pretty convinced it is a Tulip tree. I have a large amount of this wood, probably at least 1 cord if not more. As I have been splitting it I have noticed that it is very light, very low density. I can throw the splits around so easy, it feels like there is nothing to them. What I need to know is, whether this is normal for this kind of tree. The rounds have all of the bark and the trees were not felled long before I cut them up. They've been in my shed for about 6 months. The moisture content is still around 25% or so, which really makes me wonder if they'll have any burn value by next fall.

Should I plan on burning through this wood much faster than I would say, a cord of maple or oak?

Thanks!

SolaGracia said:
OK..OK, I know I am asking for wood ID without a picture, but my kid busted my camera.

Anyway I have some rounds which I cut up this summer and now am getting around to splitting them. When I cut them they seemed like a really hard wood, and were very heavy, now they are very light. I can pick up a large round (24" diamter, 16" height") with only moderate effort. Once I split the round in half, splitting the reset is so easy I only have to swing about half force and the splitter cuts right through like butter.

The bark tells me it is a Tulip tree (AKA poplar?). At first I thought it was ash, but after walking around comparing the bark to some standing ash and tulip trees on my property today, I am pretty convinced it is a Tulip tree. I have a large amount of this wood, probably at least 1 cord if not more. As I have been splitting it I have noticed that it is very light, very low density. I can throw the splits around so easy, it feels like there is nothing to them. What I need to know is, whether this is normal for this kind of tree. The rounds have all of the bark and the trees were not felled long before I cut them up. They've been in my shed for about 6 months. The moisture content is still around 25% or so, which really makes me wonder if they'll have any burn value by next fall.

Should I plan on burning through this wood much faster than I would say, a cord of maple or oak?

Thanks!

it burns quick for sure use it starting next fall

If the bark is slippery/waxy looking it's probably a relative of the aspen/poplar family. Yeah you can burn it next fall... doesn't last long but makes an excellent shoulder season wood. So yeah you'll need more of it if that's all you burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.