Wood ID ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basswidow

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Milton GA
When I bucked this - I thought for sure it was oak, based on how heavy it was and from the smell. Now I am thinking this could be ASH? I don't know.

I got 2 truck loads and I've got another to go and get. The bark is really thick. Splits like a dream.

Attachments

• grady 028.jpg
    grady 028.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 485
  • grady 027.jpg
    grady 027.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 471
  • grady 029.jpg
    grady 029.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 477
  • grady 030.jpg
    grady 030.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 456
  • grady 026.jpg
    grady 026.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 467
HUH ...I was going to say some kind of Pine.

Definately not a pine tree or evergreen. I cut it all up and it was hung in 3 places - branchy tree. Maybe it is some sort of oak - but its not like any I've split before. Not sure what it is. Hickory? Locust? How about walnut?

Looks more like locust to me

That wood is Black Locust. Just as good as oak, maybe better.

I've never split either....so I'm going out on a limb here......did the tree have thorns?
You will never forget the thorns....(as I'm told here)
I've seen pics here of Chestnut oak thats look very similar......

chestnut oak....then 2 locust shots

WB

Attachments

• Chestnut_Oak_Bark2.jpg
    Chestnut_Oak_Bark2.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 431
  • black_locust.jpg
    black_locust.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 416
  • honey_locust_Gleditsia_triacanthos.jpg
    honey_locust_Gleditsia_triacanthos.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 420
Hmmm they are close . I havent cut Chestnut oak , but the color of the splits in that first pic look just like the locust around here.
Not all the locust i have cut has the thorns.

Just got back from getting the last of it. Really big rounds that my 16 inch saw had a time with. 50 cc's and a larger bar would have made things much easier. But I knocked it out and it was a real confidence booster taking down my first big hung tree. Scary but I lived to load the wood.

While I was finishing up - the neighbor asked me if I BUY wood. I asked what he had. He said 2 truck loads of bucked Ash for $ 50. That's not too bad, $ 25 a pickup load of ash rounds. Still - it's hard to fork over money when I am getting plenty of free wood. I've got another large tree hung on this man's lot that I can take for free - so why pay?

He looked at the wood and said it was locust. The only locust I've known were scrappy field trees with thorns and burs on the bark. I'd never saw any thorns on this at all. I am about 2 more truck loads shy of another splitter rental and then I'm done for the year.

Bass- Jackpot on the locust. Will definetly be dry for next year if you split it this march. If you have too much I can take some off your hands. I'm in somerset count on rt 78.

Yep, Black Locust, I'm burning it right now. Burns hot and long but produces a lot of ash that likes to stick to your window and also needs a little more air to get going. Get all you can, great score!

basswidow said:
The only locust I've known were scrappy field trees with thorns and burs on the bark. I'd never saw any thorns on this at all.

That looks like the black locust we get around my parts. No big thorns on the trunk, just nasty smaller thorns on the smaller branches. Good heat source, but I prefer hickory because it burns better and doesn't leave such an unmanageable coal bed. One huge split right on top every night if I had some. Hard to get around here unless you cut your own because all the wood guys sell it for fence posts because it doesn't rot.

Definitely Black Locust - no question. that bark and yellow wood is a dead giveaway.

Black locust does not have the big thorns on the trunk - thats honey locust - which grows in wet areas or as an ornamental

Black locust has little stout thorns on young trees and the small branches and grows in old fields and the edge of woods usually.

Black locust is awesome firewood, my favorite! I'm lucky to live in an area with a lot of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.