wood id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geoxman

Feeling the Heat
Jan 26, 2010
STL City
A tree service dropped off a bunch of wood at my house yesterday. I got a dump truck of oak, honey locust and this wood I need an ID on. My 10lb maul hits and it just laughs at it. The rings are small and it seems to be a hard wood but splitting it by hand is a b^%$. It is a little stringy as well

th_DSCN1023.jpg

th_DSCN1024.jpg

and about a half cord of honey locust I did yesterday

th_DSCN1025.jpg

pretty nice free/case of beer score! They will cut them to any size and deliver when they are within 25 miles of me. He said I can have as much as often as I want. Any idea on the wood?

The yellow stuff was like BUTTER and had thorns so I know it was honey locust. I gave a few rounds my best this evening and it went no where! I have well over a cord of this stuff so I might try a buddies electric splitter on it. The wood was laughing at me as I tried to split it..I have never run into wood as tough as this. Beggers can't be choosers and if he keeps bringing me good wood then it is worth the case of beer that he ask's for.

I think the orange stuff is Mulberry. Mulberry can be tough to split, especially since the trees seem to have a lot of brnches, which means a lot of knots.

Wood Duck said:
I think the orange stuff is Mulberry. Mulberry can be tough to split, especially since the trees seem to have a lot of brnches, which means a lot of knots.
Me too.

What about osage orange (hedge)?

The wood looks the right color, coupled with the narrow band of light-colored sapwood. Bark looks perfect for hedge according to the photos in my Nat. Audubon field guide for trees. Alas, I've never seen either of these great firewoods in person except in lumber form.

geoxman said:
The yellow stuff was like BUTTER and had thorns so I know it was honey locust.

I don't know-the 4th picture in your album and the solid yellow split pieces look like Mulberry to me. You'll know in a few months as they start to dry; if it's Mulberry those yellow cut ends will turn reddish-brown.

I think the Mulberrys have it , I was just cutting some today looks alot like that first picture. Lots of yellow on the new cuts and it is pretty heavy and does not hand split all that great. I will be using the gas splitter.

The tree service is dropping off another dump truck of the same mix today. I have processed 3 rows 16ftx6ft so far by hand and I am off to Rural King this morning to buy a splitter because the large pieces of the red stuff have worn me out. The 6-10 inch rounds of the same wood has been much easier to handle, but the large ones flip me the bird every time. I hope the new dump has more of the yellow lucust because it can be split with an axe and is like butter. Free wood is the best!

geoxman said:
The tree service is dropping off another dump truck of the same mix today.

Then ask them what kind of wood this is, if you or someone else will be around when they dump it.

The past two loads have been delivered by Mexican's that speak zero English. I asked the guy at the office and he had no idea what kind of wood it was, only that they were working the same lot from the other loads. I can't even get close to a conversation with them-they just knock on the door and I direct them out back. There are a lot of immigrants doing tree and landscaping work in my area. I guess the boss man is getting cheap labor

geoxman said:
The past two loads have been delivered by Mexican's that speak zero English. I asked the guy at the office and he had no idea what kind of wood it was, only that they were working the same lot from the other loads. I can't even get close to a conversation with them-they just knock on the door and I direct them out back. There are a lot of immigrants doing tree and landscaping work in my area. I guess the boss man is getting cheap labor

Guess you'll have to take some quick Spanish lessons! lol....

It was wet cold and raining today so I have no idea what I got. It appears to be a bunch more locust..thorns and that mystery wood, as the bark pattern is the same.

WHOHOO I am also the proud owner of a brand spanking new Swisher 28 ton splitter!! My first splitter!! I really like the horizontal and vertical capabilities of the unit. Rural King had it for $1000 on sale. I can't wait to give this a try tomorrow-from what I have read they do a decent job

geoxman said:
It was wet cold and raining today so I have no idea what I got. It appears to be a bunch more locust..thorns and that mystery wood, as the bark pattern is the same.

WHOHOO I am also the proud owner of a brand spanking new Swisher 28 ton splitter!! My first splitter!! I really like the horizontal and vertical capabilities of the unit. Rural King had it for $1000 on sale. I can't wait to give this a try tomorrow-from what I have read they do a decent job
It is not a mystrey wood to me as I cut mulberry all the time and the bark and the color of the wood looks like all the mulberry I have cut around here.

oldspark said:
geoxman said:

It is not a mystrey wood to me as I cut mulberry all the time and the bark and the color of the wood looks like all the mulberry I have cut around here.

In my parts I usually do not see Mullberry trunks in 24'30 diameter. I could be wrong but the yellow is like butter and th red is th devil, until tomorrow good luck

geoxman said:
oldspark said:
geoxman said:

In my parts I usually do not see Mullberry trunks in 24'30 diameter. I could be wrong but the yellow is like butter and th red is th devil, until tomorrow good luck
We have the bigger ones here, they are not the normal but I have some on my place.

Thanks everyone for the replies! That Swisher tore some serious wood today. In all the years I have been burning/splitting I am kicking myself for not doing it sooner. The mystery wood gave the splitter all it could handle on straight cuts?? I was amazed that a 28ton splitter would have trouble with a straight cut piece. My brother and I were both off work today and we notched out another 2+cords. All the oak, locust, maple and pine was a sinch. I also had some of what I believe to be elm as it was VERY stringy, white and rather tough on the Swisher as well. Can't say enough good things about this splitter on it's first day of use!

Not trying to beat a dead horse but I measured my biggest mulberry tree at the very base and it was 31 inches in diameter.

WOW that is a big mullberry...lots of purple bird poop! My friend who works with wood said I should kiln dry the stuff and sell it?? Is it worth anything? I have never valued ANY wood for anything other than smoking or burning. I had some huge pieces dropped off today, maybe 6ft long and about 15-18inches in diameter and it is the same wood. I am coming close to my storage capacity of 6-7 cords so I will have to try and tell the tree guys "no more". This red mullberry wood..does it take long to dry? I have a bunch more to go, as well as locust. I also got some pretty large pieces of pine dropped off today, but it was free!

If this wood has a value to woodworkers I might try trading it for oak on CL even steven, because it is difficult. Thanks much

geoxman said:
WOW that is a big mullberry...lots of purple bird poop! My friend who works with wood said I should kiln dry the stuff and sell it?? Is it worth anything? I have never valued ANY wood for anything other than smoking or burning. I had some huge pieces dropped off today, maybe 6ft long and about 15-18inches in diameter and it is the same wood. I am coming close to my storage capacity of 6-7 cords so I will have to try and tell the tree guys "no more". This red mullberry wood..does it take long to dry? I have a bunch more to go, as well as locust. I also got some pretty large pieces of pine dropped off today, but it was free!

If this wood has a value to woodworkers I might try trading it for oak on CL even steven, because it is difficult. Thanks much
I have never heard of mulberry being worth any thing to a wood worker but do not know for sure, I believe it has a lot of moisture in it when green so takes a while to cure.

oldspark said:
geoxman said:

I have never heard of mulberry being worth any thing to a wood worker but do not know for sure, I believe it has a lot of moisture in it when green so takes a while to cure.

Heck I have never seen mulberry as a reddish color so lets build some cabinet..

dannynelson77 said:
Me too. The Mulberry I just cut down was much more yellow.

all I have done has been green very green!

Status
Not open for further replies.