Wood ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jleyland

Apr 25, 2009
eastern pa
I thought this was ash but it sure doesn't split like it! Pretty tough stuff. Any ideas? Thanks! Hope everyone had a nice Easter.

Attachments

• IMG00539.jpg
    IMG00539.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 500
Kinda looks like sugar maple to me but I'm not sure

yanksforever said:
Definitly looks like maple.

Thanks for agreeing with me, you probably would agree with me on who will win tonight too I would venture to say. :)

boston2.jpg

peterc38 said:
yanksforever said:
Definitly looks like maple.

Thanks for agreeing with me, you probably would agree with me on who will win tonight too I would venture to say. :)

boston2.jpg

That's what I think about that! :) Everyone knows Yankees Rule and you will never see that many rings in your life time! Don't forget to watch
the raising of the flag soon. By the way...Beckett won't win 10 games this year...and Dice K..we know he sucks!

Attachments

• Boston Sucks.jpg
    Boston Sucks.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 387
  • 27 rings.jpg
    27 rings.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 391
  • Redsox suck ass.jpg
    Redsox suck ass.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 376
jleyland said:
I thought this was ash but it sure doesn't split like it! Pretty tough stuff. Any ideas? Thanks! Hope everyone had a nice Easter.
It just looks like good heat to me.

This last Winter I burned a big Chinese Elm.
That was some tough stuff to split.
That borrowed 35 ton splitter didn't have any problems at all.
Good thing it liked to go vertical.
Those 54" rounds would have been a real bugger to lift onto a horizontal splitter.

I think that is Norway Maple. The furrowed bark of Norway Maple looks a lot like ash. That tree looks like it was a shade tree with lots of branches, crotches, etc. that make it tough to split. Norway Maple is very common as a shade tree, along streets, and escaped into woods near houses in PA.

Almost looks like Hickory with the diamond bark pattern, but I don't see any blood line in the heart wood, looks a lot like the wood I was splitting this weekend?

It's "Mash" -- what you call wood when you're trying to ID it by bark alone and aren't sure if it's maple or ash . . . either way it should burn fine once cut, split, stacked and left to season.

firefighterjake said:
It's "Mash" -- what you call wood when you're trying to ID it by bark alone and aren't sure if it's maple or ash . . . either way it should burn fine once cut, split, stacked and left to season.

We used to call it knot hickory, or was it not hickory...

1 - Could be bitternut hickory

2 - sometimes you just get a few pieces with crazy grain or the pieces from the bottom of the tree - they are a pain...

It looks to me like it is "curley" meaning that if it were a straight log and of 8" long it was worth some coin for sure no matter what species...If it is hard maple, would have been alot of coin

Post another picture of the end grain, a close up if you can.

WoodButcher

I got some better pics today. Thanks again guys.

Attachments

• IMG00543.jpg
    IMG00543.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG00544.jpg
    IMG00544.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG00545.jpg
    IMG00545.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 215
That's ash. I can see where the pix in the OP would lead folks to maple. Particularly the figuring in the grain. I have had some curley ash. Not a lot. I seem to remember the curliest wood coming from right at the base of the trunk...but that was years ago and don't trust my memory that far back

CrawfordCentury said:
That's ash. I can see where the pix in the OP would lead folks to maple. Particularly the figuring in the grain. I have had some curley ash. Not a lot. I seem to remember the curliest wood coming from right at the base of the trunk...but that was years ago and don't trust my memory that far back

Some of the stuff I split yesterday from this pile was much easier to split. I guess I just happened to split the curly pieces first. I'll be sure to post better pics from the start next time to make it easier for everyone!
thanks
Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.