Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlow

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2009
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Got these rounds this morning. What do I have here??!!!

Thanks, Jeff

Attachments

• DSC05739.jpg
    DSC05739.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 590
  • DSC05740.jpg
    DSC05740.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 579
  • DSC05741.jpg
    DSC05741.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 584
Put me down for Maple....

3rd norway, first picture is an upper younger branch.

Tulip final answer! lol

smokinjay said:
Tulip final answer! lol
Yeah, Tulip Poplar, aka Yellow Poplar.

Show us one split?

Look for brownish/purplish strands in the heartwood = Poplar.

Pure creamy white heartwood = Maple

Could be poplar (you lucky devil). A split shot will be definitive. It looks yellow on my monitor.

LOL thats tulip is are state tree dont know why make good lumber...100 percent sure thats tulip!

Thanks for all the input. I will post a couple of photos of the splits tomorrow for ya all to review.

Thanks, Jeff

my first thought was tulip

the only kind of maple that can kind of look like that is norway maple like some others said

tulip wood isnt usually that yellow though - usually pretty white with sometimes some green and i've even seen some purple staining

smokinjay said:
LOL thats tulip is are state tree dont know why make good lumber...100 percent sure thats tulip!
Yep- a friend of mine built a horse barn out of Tulip he cut on his property and had milled. Looks real good. He says it lasts very well.

Cluttermagnet said:
smokinjay said:
Yep- a friend of mine built a horse barn out of Tulip he cut on his property and had milled. Looks real good. He says it lasts very well.

It makes Awesome lumber.

I'm saying maple, and the white balance is off on the camera. Good score though!

i would say it is definitely maple and most likely a norway maple. i know some have said tulip poplar but that bark doesn't look like tulip poplar to me.

Check op first pic with this know tulip limb.....1st pic op's

Attachments

• tulip.bmp
    401.1 KB · Views: 371
  • tulip.jpg
    tulip.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 305
smokinjay said:
Check op first pic with this know tulip limb.....

Good pic SJ
Tulip/poplar is good for impressing the females, save a 12 foot log, then come out of the woods with it on your shoulder like the movie "Commando"

Jlow
The first pic (bottom round) looks like it has gigantic growth rings, post a good close up if you can of the rings and some split pieces.

WoodButcher

Looks just like the one (tulip) in my yard ... the bark varies quite a bit from older to younger growth.
Also Tulip and linden are the same tree . ID of the one in my yard was by a certified arborist. They are very straight growing and good shade in fact we have replanted and given away several over the years .

I think the bark looks like Tulip Poplar, but the wood doesn't seem the right color. Tulip usually has a purplish color. Considering the bark and the wood together, I'd guess Norway maple. That branch on the sawbuck sure looks like Tulip.

In any case, Tulip and Linden are not the same tree. Tulip Poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera (Sounds like a fake latin name) ), and Linden aka Basswood (Tilia americana) can grow near each other, and both can grow straight trunks, but they're different trees. Tulip Poplar (not a poplar) gets flowers that look like greenish/yellow tulips followed by seeds in the same tulip-flower arrangement. Linden flowers hang down below the branches and are followed by seeds with big wings, sort of like oversized maple seeds. I think of the two Tulip is the better firewood. Tulip is somewhere near the middle range of BTUs per cord, while Basswood is pretty low.

Wood duck is right, tulip poplar and linden(basswood) are not the same tree species -

way to rock out with the latin names also - the latin name for tulip poplar is one of my favorites - my second favorite is sweet gum - Liquidambar styruciflua - I probably spelled it wrong just now, but its a mouthful.

Tulip Poplar. They get really big, put off very little heat and make a lot of ash. As far as fire wood goes I would burn pine before Poplar.

C'mon jlow, whack one of them pieces open and post a picture of the grain so that we can settle this here debate lol.... :lol:

"Maple vs. Tulip Poplar" Round 15 FINAL ROUND

Status
Not open for further replies.