Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will when I get home!!! Approx. 6:30pm EST. Soon the debate will be all over!!!!

J

jlow said:
I will when I get home!!! Approx. 6:30pm EST. Soon the debate will be all over!!!!

J

I got a 6 pack doing nothing! Oh and get a close-up of the fat growth rings please.

Here are the pics you requested, plus a couple of my boys guarding the shed.

Attachments

• DSC05742 (Small).jpg
    DSC05742 (Small).jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 214
  • DSC05748 (Small).jpg
    DSC05748 (Small).jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 231
  • DSC05751 (Small).jpg
    DSC05751 (Small).jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 216
  • DSC05753 (Small).jpg
    DSC05753 (Small).jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 188
  • DSC05756 (Small).jpg
    DSC05756 (Small).jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 193
jlow said:
Here are the pics you requested, plus a couple of my boys guarding the shed.

Nice dogs, Tulip

On my monitor it could still be norway maple.
Is it almost as heavy or light compared to oak (same size split)?

gzecc said:
On my monitor it could still be norway maple.
Is it almost as heavy or light compared to oak (same size split)?

lol I do have a few monitors that are bad.....BUT NO QUESTION THATS TULIP, Its to white to fight and to thin to win!

The wood was heavy. When I hit two rounds together it sounds like a baseball bat. The wood is very white like some maple I got last year.

A couple more pics.

Attachments

• DSC05744 (Small).jpg
    DSC05744 (Small).jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC05743 (Small).jpg
    DSC05743 (Small).jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 171
jlow said:
The wood was heavy. When I hit two rounds together it sounds like a baseball bat. The wood is very white like some maple I got last year.

Nothing wrong with tulip its about the same btu as silver maple....And does look a lot like it but turn more yellow where maple will turn more grayish weathered look. tulip will get grayish but it takes quite a bit longer than maple does.

Good call on the Poplar, boys. The smaller pieces looked like Maple to me, but on close inspection I can see the tell-tale Yellow tint of Poplar. 15th round knockout for the winner POPLAR....!!! lol

that pic of that very straight log on the saw horse is the one that convinced me i was wrong, and that wood is indeed poplar. i know alot of people don't like poplar for burning but i don't mind it, it's generally very easy to split, it doesnt break your back to move it, and as long as you have a good mix of wood, the mid range btu value isnt a big deal, at least to me.

krex1010 said:
that pic of that very straight log on the saw horse is the one that convinced me i was wrong, and that wood is indeed poplar. i know alot of people don't like poplar for burning but i don't mind it, it's generally very easy to split, it doesnt break your back to move it, and as long as you have a good mix of wood, the mid range btu value isnt a big deal, at least to me.

Me either wood in ash out! lol it all has it uses...

Status
Not open for further replies.