Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dannynelson77

Feeling the Heat
Jan 5, 2010
PA
Any guesses on what wood it is? Guy says Oak that was cut a year ago. Look right?

Attachments

• wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 388
Tough to tell from the picture but it's not looking too much like oak to me; it's also not look too much like it was cut a year ago either (unless it's been stored in really bad conditions).

looks like Ash to me....I had some chunks sitting like that for 2 years and it wasn't that dark..yet

Yea it doesnt look like Oak to me either thats why I posted. Not sure what it looks like though. With how dark it is I was thinking possibly Mulberry. I will try and get better pics from the guy.

Not Mulberry I dont believe, the reason it is that dark as others have stated is it is a lot older than one year IMHO.

I agree - more than one year old. Take it all and split it and post a pic of the splits. Looks like good wood to me.

fissures or grooves in the bark seem a bit deep or rough for the red or white oak that is common here.

Ash. I'd say primarily based on the bark but I have some 1-yr old rounds I left outside uncovered and they look very similar. I wouldn't have thought ash would get that dark but I just checked while taking the dogs out.

Status
Not open for further replies.