Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KYrob

Jan 8, 2010
KY
I think this is honey locust but there wasn't any thorns on it. It has been down a couple of years though. Mostly straight with only a couple of limbs. About 40 feet tall and 20" through at chest height and carried that size to nearly the top. Rounds are real heavy and split very easy. Lots of growth rings for a tree that size. Anyway, here's a couple pics.

Attachments

• P1080250.jpg
    P1080250.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 352
  • P1080252.jpg
    P1080252.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 373
Looks like honey.

I 2nd that vote for honey locust. Could be a thornless one. Up to 10% in the wild dont have any,plus they've been planted for shade for 40 yrs now.Neighbors 2 doors north have a decent sized one in their front yard about 18" dia. x 40 ft tall.

Bark doesnt look like honey locust to me.

offroadaudio said:
Yeah - bark looks like a choke cherry , but I'll say the color of the wood does remind me of HL

Think your on to something!

Yeah, I'm gonna say some sort of cherry.

KYrob said:
I think this is honey locust but there wasn't any thorns on it. It has been down a couple of years though. Mostly straight with only a couple of limbs. About 40 feet tall and 20" through at chest height and carried that size to nearly the top. Rounds are real heavy and split very easy. Lots of growth rings for a tree that size. Anyway, here's a couple pics.

How do you like your 74?

I love the 74. My central unit hasn't kicked on at all this year except for the 2 times I ran it for 5 minutes to be sure it would work if needed.

Rob

KYrob said:
I love the 74. My central unit hasn't kicked on at all this year except for the 2 times I ran it for 5 minutes to be sure it would work if needed.

Rob

The 74 is a beast when it comes to heat. I just put mine in friday and i LOVE it!! I have kept my whole house (2000 sq ft) at 72* today with 4 splits of wood. I put one medium size split in E/W about every 3 hours. Obviously when im not here I load it up for a longer burn but i have found that one at a time is sufficient while im home.

Looks like Black Locust to me, all my honey locust had bark much thinner than that and all the BL bark was deeply furrowed LOL

I agree that the bark doesn't look right for Honey Locust. Maybe if I could see more pieces of bark it would help. I don't know what Ky Coffee tree looks like.

I looked at pics of a KY coffee tree and it could be that but could also be locust. I think I will call it firewood since I have already cut so many rounds of it. According to the BTU chart they are both decent firewood.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.