wood ID ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewdee

Feb 9, 2011
Central NJ
Very yellow almost neon. When the logs were cut the dust was fluffy powder like,no smell?

Attachments

• wwww.jpg
    wwww.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 365
Mulberry is more orange. That looks tan on my monitor. Looks like butternut, although I have never had it, but I've seen it a couple of times.

gzecc said:
Looks like butternut, although I have never had it, but I've seen it a couple of times.

Butternut is a Walnut "knock-off" and looks similiar to it.

+1 Mulberry. Golden color when split. Leave a split piece out in the sun a few days, see if it turns a much darker burnt orange

If it was neon when fresh cut then I agree with Mulberry. bark doesn't seem quite right for hedge/osage.

PA. Woodsman said:
gzecc said:
Looks like butternut, although I have never had it, but I've seen it a couple of times.

Butternut is a Walnut "knock-off" and looks similiar to it.

Distant cousin,smaller tree with shorter trunk with spreading limbs.Much softer wood (similar to Basswood or White Pine in density/strength.Oval/egg shaped nuts,even rougher shell than Black Walnut,very hard to crack but worth the effort when you're lucky enough to find some in the Fall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butternut_(tree)

Attachments

• butternut1.jpg
    butternut1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 244
  • butternut2.jpg
    butternut2.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 249
  • butternut3.jpg
    butternut3.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 276
  • butternut4.jpg
    butternut4.jpg