Wood ID ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tb525

Dec 22, 2010
SE Ohio
After the first sawcut, I thought this may have been a walnut, but the bark doesn't have the diamondback pattern. Couldn't find any walnuts or hulls on the ground around the tree either.. The twigs don't terminate in a cluster of buds, so I'm thinking it's not in the oak family.. anyone have any ideas? Thanks!!

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

wow man, you get the absolute prize for best pictures every when requesting a tree ID, and even a twig pic with buds.

Looking at your pics, the only thing I can think of is maybe ELM. Though, there is not a lot of elm where I live, so others can verify.

I can definitely agree with you that it is not walnut or oak.

Attachments

• red elm 1.jpg
    red elm 1.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 406
  • red elm 4.jpg
    red elm 4.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 402
  • red elm 3.jpg
    red elm 3.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 420
The first pic looks like a totally different tree than the last pic! Or is it just me.......

White Oak, from the bark.

CTYank said:

+1 thight very tight grain...Milling stock.

smokinjay said:
CTYank said:

Can't be oak - there are no Medullary rays.

I'm with thistle - sure looks like Red elm (slippery elm) to me. It often has bark similar to oak, but the wood grain is totally different. It always has "wandering" growth rings just like the picture.

chinkapin_oak said:
smokinjay said:
CTYank said:

I'm with thistle - sure looks like Red elm (slippery elm) to me. It often has bark similar to oak, but the wood grain is totally different. It always has "wandering" growth rings just like the picture.

That bark looks like white oak. Agree its red elm and would look awesome milled very tight grained.

fatwoodfirestarters said:
I thought elm at first but buds look hickory to me. I think it is likely a pignut hickory

I'm thinking the same thing. Does it smell like cow manure when split? Hickory does that and sometimes Oak, but mostly Hickory in my experience. And if it's White Oak you have a winner that too as that's great stuff-good score!

smokinjay said:
chinkapin_oak said:
smokinjay said:
CTYank said:

That bark looks like white oak. Agree its red elm and would look awesome milled very tight grained.

the bark does look like white oak, but if that twig came from the tree it definitely is not oak. white oak buds look totally different than that and the endbuds are clusted in groups of up to 5.

buds are also all wrong for hickory

you guys are probably correct with the slippery elm guess - i figured elm, but like i said, I don't see a ton of that around here.

The heartwood color is wrong for white oak, though the bark looks right. The bark looks too "spongy" to be pignut, and not flay enough to be shag bark.

I don't know enough about the elms, but it doesn't look like the common ones here and it seems to have split pretty cleanly.

Could it be some kind of maple?

Adios Pantalones said:
The heartwood color is wrong for white oak, though the bark looks right. The bark looks too "spongy" to be pignut, and not flay enough to be shag bark.

I don't know enough about the elms, but it doesn't look like the common ones here and it seems to have split pretty cleanly.

Could it be some kind of maple?

no, maple has opposite branching, and the twig in his picture has alternate branching.

Spent an hour this morning researching similar wood came up with slippery elm(ie.red elm).Will try to post pics shortly.

Here's the wood.This was standing dead with the bark starting to slip.

Attachments

• wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 217
  • wood3.jpg
    wood3.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 200
Status
Not open for further replies.