Wood ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dougand3

Minister of Fire
Oct 16, 2008
North Alabama
Homeowner in a nearby hood had 2 front yard trees cut down-I'm guessing within last few days and sawed into 18-24" logs. Put up a sign "free firewood - help yourself"...so, I did. Trees were ~2 ft diameter at base. Seem kinda light. Just split one and is damp inside. I was thinking might have been standing dead but I dunno. Thanks. Doug

Attachments

• firewood1.jpg
    firewood1.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 532
  • firewood3.jpg
    firewood3.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 521
  • firewood4.jpg
    firewood4.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 529
That's my guess too.

Thanks, guys. Silver maple = low medium BTU output. Not great but hey, free is free.

Whatever it is, the sapsuckers like it. Sapsuckers like Silver maples.

Bark does not look like silver. Still could be but nothing like I have ever seen.

That bark photo is a tough one, so much moss/lichen. I'd expect silver Maple of that size to be more "flakey". Wood being a little punky doesn't help either. Basswood? Ash?

Another bark shot

Attachments

• firewood2a.jpg
    firewood2a.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 469
I guess silver maple with the last set of pictures you showed. Pretty common yard tree around my parts.

Props to PA Woodsman 4 nailing it right off the bat.

Thanks so much for IDing everyone. On the way back from front yard score....I run across this on roadside. Went back and got ~ 1/2 cord of large rounds. It is MUCH heavier and has green twig growth on trunk. I'm thinking front yard was standing dead for some time and roadside fresh green cut. It's a maplely day in Bama!

Attachments

• firewood5.jpg
    firewood5.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 270
two trees eh? i believe they are two different trees, some looks like silver maple and some looks like red maple

I think Red or Silver Maple. It doesn't make much difference for firewood, they are about the same. I like Red Maple, haven't burned any Silver. It burns fast and hot compared to oak; it makes a good starter to heat up the stove or get the fire blazing quickly so you can turn down the air and go to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.