Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bboulier

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2010
NE Virginia
Picked up a large branch (10" diameter) by the side of the road last week and split it today. The outside of the tree is similar to cedar, but it is quite light weight and the wood is very yellow. It has a strong smell. Not having smelled this odor for more than 40 years, I think it might be camphor. If that's right, I won't burn it but will put it on the lower course of the logs next to the pallets to discourage insects. Here are the pictures. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2214r.jpg
    IMG_2214r.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_2212r.jpg
    IMG_2212r.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 217
Well, I'm zero help. Only thing around here that even remotely looks like that (other than western red cedar) is mountain juniper.

Looks like some kind of out of control steroid ornamental tree trunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.