Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CodyWayne718

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2009
Kentucky
Heavy and a bear to split. ID to see if its worth splitting or jus use it for camp fires

Attachments

• 100_2086.jpg
    100_2086.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 628
  • 100_2087.jpg
    100_2087.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 610
Can't tell from the bark, but the wood looks like hickory. Might be pignut hickory- bark is not right for shagbark hickory.

Guess its worth the trouble then! Its jus so stringy in the center

Yes, it looks like hickory to me too. Obviously not shellbark or shagbark. Maybe bitternut or possibly mockernut?

Bitternut hickory. Splits easy and burns great.

joshlaugh said:
Yes, it looks like hickory to me too. Obviously not shellbark or shagbark. Maybe bitternut or possibly mockernut?

+1

Looks like a pignut to me.

sorry to be contrary, but that doesn't look like any hickory i've ever seen.

I would guess black gum or elm

both hard to split, both look more like what you have than hickory does. pignut or mockernut hickory always has some kind of a diamond type pattern to it - sometimes raised more into ridges and sometimes, smoother, but never does it have a random chunky/flaky pattern like the bark on your rounds.

It has that distinct oak smell, well to me anyway. Like manure. I split an stacked it. Guess we'll see how it burns sometime down the road!

Looks like what is in thie pic too? I have been trying to figure this one out for a while. Don't recall a scent when splitting, but it is dry now and has no distinct odor. Burning it is a pleasure though. It smells very nice, sweet and clean smelling. I am thinking Elm. Kinda stringy, burns somewhat quick and leaves a bit more ash than Oak. Not as hot as Oak either.

Attachments

• tree10.jpg
    tree10.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 333
  • tree11.jpg
    tree11.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 359
CodyWayne718 said:
It has that distinct oak smell, well to me anyway. Like manure. I split an stacked it. Guess we'll see how it burns sometime down the road!

I think your stuff is Red Oak.

mywaynow said:
CodyWayne718 said:

I think your stuff is Red Oak.

I didn't think oak was very stringy thou.

Oaks vary within the species. Red is the least stringy, white and pin oak (water oak?) are stringy. You have to cycle the splitter almost 100% in order to separate the splits. The piece I pictured has more light color pulp on the outer edge than yours. The bark is what has me leaning toward Red Oak.

I don't see medullary rays in the end grain, so it isn't oak, and I don't recognize the bark as any species of hickory I am familiar with. My guess is elm, maybe American Elm? If it is elm it is difinitely worth splitting and burning in the stove, even though it may be hard to split.

CodyWayne718 said:
Guess its worth the trouble then! Its jus so stringy in the center
CodyWayne718 said:

Wierd... both those caracteristics describe the cottonwood trees we have down in the low valleys over here in Montana. The bark doesn't look nearly thick enough to be a cottonwood, though...

nah, its not cottonwood for sure,

I'm with Wood Duck in thinking its probably Elm.

Status
Not open for further replies.