wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gregbesia

Feeling the Heat
Jan 26, 2009
central CT
Here is the thing. I have access to a bunch of trees that are already down and cut into 4-6 ft pcs , but I have no idea what it is. Any ideas? Is it even worth the work? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1038.jpg
    IMG_1038.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_1047.jpg
    IMG_1047.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_1048.jpg
    IMG_1048.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 240
gregbesia said:
Here is the thing. I have access to a bunch of trees that are already down and cut into 4-6 ft pcs , but I have no idea what it is. Any ideas? Is it even worth the work? Thanks.

Looks like poplar to me. Could be cottonwood to.

thanks, it is very, very wet when I split it

Poplar +3. Looks to have that blueish/purple stripe between the sapwood and the core. Split a piece smaller, like a wedge with 6 inch legs, 3 inch base and smack it against something. It will ring, and it will be really light. And I would leave it where it lays. But I have great wood to access.

when I split it , water is coming out where I hit it with my ax , it also smells like sewer after I split it
thanks

looks like cottonwood to me, sounds like it smells like cottonwood too.

I think it's cottonwood.

The wood grain does look like Yellow Poplar, but the bark is too coarse for the yellow poplar I've seen. Poplar bark looks more like white ash, smaller furrows. This bark has big furrows.

I also think it is Cottonwood. Is it worth taking? That depends how hard it is to get and how much wood you have. It isn't oak or locust, but it will season by fall and it does burn. Better than nothing.

I would say cottonwood and yes, those can be pretty smelly and very wet.

Thanks to all for your expert opinions. Im currently working on 2012-13 supply and I think I will pass this wood.

cottonwood for sure. not like any poplar I ever seen around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.