WOOD ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
Wood ID Please.

Attachments

• SSPX1166.jpg
    SSPX1166.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 397
From that photo I'd have three guesses, in order of descending probability, Ash, Poplar/Tulip, or least likely Basswood. If your photos could be a little closer and more focus on grain of a round then we could really narrow it down.

Looks like ash. Confirm with a split picture.

I'd love to, but I have to get permission first. This is a huge pile on the property of a cemetery near a gas line. I wanted to see what you guys had to say before I get permission and start digging into the pile.

100% Ash. If it was Tulip Poplar the bark would not be as furrowed on that size of trees/limps.

Tulip also has a black streak down the middle, right?

fv

Not black but the heartwood is darker, where Ash is typically all white. Although I just cut a Ash that had a darker heartwood.....first time I saw that...

Brother has a few old Black Ashes (with brownish heart) on his property.Most are still healthy so far, a couple do need dropped last I checked.

Ash. Good stuff and fun to split.

dannynelson77 said:
Not black but the heartwood is darker, where Ash is typically all white. Although I just cut a Ash that had a darker heartwood.....first time I saw that...
Green Ash is darker than White Ash, we have a pretty good mix of the ash here but not to many people on this forum talk about Green Ash.

oldspark said:
dannynelson77 said:
Green Ash is darker than White Ash, we have a pretty good mix of the ash here but not to many people on this forum talk about Green Ash.

I think thats because its so hard to tell them apart. People probbaly just think they have white ash when they have green? I think the only true way to tell them apart is the leaf scar.

Lots of Green Ash around here too,much was planted 30-40 yrs to replace older American Elms lost to the first wave of Dutch Elm Disease.I have a medium sized one on that grassy strip next to the street.

I think it is Ash. Tulip would have a more purplish wood, but not usually a dark streak as someone suggested. I am not sure how to separate ash from Basswood based on these pictures, but Ash is generally more common in PA in my experience.

dannynelson77 said:
oldspark said:
dannynelson77 said:

I think thats because its so hard to tell them apart. People probbaly just think they have white ash when they have green? I think the only true way to tell them apart is the leaf scar.
I been cutting it for so long I can tell in a heart beat, I was not aware that some people had a problem with telling them apart.

Well from what I have read, the bark, leaves, and wood typically look the same. Just with the leaves they are not as "whitish" on the bottom. I dont know first hand though as all I have cut is white ash. Or at least I think so. :)

You guys have gum trees up there? I'm guessing gum if you do.

It looks like ash to me and we cut a lot of it.

dannynelson77 said:
Well from what I have read, the bark, leaves, and wood typically look the same. Just with the leaves they are not as "whitish" on the bottom. I dont know first hand though as all I have cut is white ash. Or at least I think so. :)
Here is the white ash and the green ash, I am sure you can tell me which is which.

Attachments

• P10002832.jpg
    P10002832.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 244
  • P10002842.jpg
    P10002842.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 246
Yea they definitely look different although the bark is tough to see in the first pic....

dannynelson77 said:

You really have not seen much ash if you think it is all white.

nrford said:
dannynelson77 said:

You really have not seen much ash if you think it is all white.

Oh really? When did you come up to my property and check out my Ash trees to be able to tell me that? I must have missed you.

My property has about 80% Ash on it!! its LOADED with Ash and I have cut a boat load over the years. And again....pretty sure its all White Ash.

As a hardwood lumber inspector and former sawmill owner, I'm sure i have seen way more ash than you will ever see.

nrford said:
As a hardwood lumber inspector and former sawmill owner, I'm sure i have seen way more ash than you will ever see.

So what? You want a cookie or something because you have seen more Ash than me? Sure doesnt give you the right to tell me I havent seen much Ash. I have seen plenty Ash, Mr. Lumber inspector. Thats 80% of what I cut and split each year. But now I see where the arrogance comes from.......

I have seen millions of board feet of ash from tenn to northern michigan, illinois to new hampshire. You have some very valuable ash if it is 100% white. shame you are cutting it for firewood. The only thing i can figure is you are perhaps not letting it get log size. when ash is small it has little if any heartwood. But timber size ash is usually 50% heartwood (BROWN). Nuff Said.

Status
Not open for further replies.