Wood Id?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chvymn99

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2010
Kansas
They adverterised as Ash, but in the heat of the moment. I'm sure there is a couple of ash's, but there is another one that is not. I did find on little section of leaf stem, its got a dark heart to it, and its very sappy.

3346083c.jpg

1172cf7b.jpg

e5c59236.jpg

a5176254.jpg

67485c5c.jpg

mulberry

The leaf looks like Elm, not sure about the bark or dark sapwood...

2 different trees? or the same?

Are those rounds fresh cut in the pics? If so, I don't think there is any mulberry in there. Mulberry will be a bright (almost neon) yellow when fresh cut.

Yes, the white wood is ash. But its the dark wood and the picture of the leaf that I question. Yes its fresh cut.

I saw the ash leaves, and me a some what wood newbie, I just assumed that it was just one big tree.

Sure looks like Elm to me. Leaves, dark heartwood (when green) and lots of sap all say Elm. Bark looks a little different then the Elm around here, but not surprising. Should be quite heavy when green.

Elm

Good thing you have a hydraulic splitter!

Well, one is ash so you are batting 50%. Not bad...

Thanks for giving me the direction inwhich to look. From the research, I'd say it resembles red elm or aka slick elm. It was real slippery and had a odor to it. Yes it was very heavy.

It made the Ash feel like a feather.

Status
Not open for further replies.