Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gregbesia

Feeling the Heat
Jan 26, 2009
central CT
What did I get? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1249.jpg
    IMG_1249.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 533
  • IMG_1250.jpg
    IMG_1250.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 524
  • IMG_1251.jpg
    IMG_1251.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 526
Black cherry (Prunus serotina)

Actually, you just got what was going to be my new kitchen cabinets. Oh well, enjoy! :)

Thank you TreePointer. Seems very hard and heavy. Not too easy to split ,but hey its free.

Are those leaves ribbed and pointed? Can't see it pic. Here's a pic of a black birch which we have a lot of around MA.

Attachments

• leaf.jpg
    leaf.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 451
The last pics bark made me think cherry also. The other two pics, either my phone or your camera the sap wood looks orangish yellow. Bark looked different in the top two pics also. If its cherry you should be able to smell it! I've found that cherry splits better when frozen.

Definetly looks like cherry, always a favorite. Seasons fast, smells great, burns good.

gregbesia said:
Seems very hard and heavy. Not too easy to split ,but hey its free.
OK, what you have there is wet Cherry. :cheese:
Like GolfandWoodNut said, seasons quick. I've been grabbing as much of it as I can. I stacked some, split small, in late July/early August, and it's gone from 22-25% MC to <18%. I've tossed some on outdoor fires...smells great!

OK, I didn't want to post up yet another Wood ID thread. Hopefully gregbesia won't mind me posting a few pics in here. We just cut this down and no one has any idea what it is. Can I please get the experts opinion? Thanks in advance everyone.

Attachments

• unk tree3.jpg
    unk tree3.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 381
  • unk tree 2.jpg
    unk tree 2.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 380
  • unk tree1.jpg
    unk tree1.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 375
Sheepdog the thread jacker! Honey locust. Still puzzled on the OPs wood.

sheepdog000 said:
OK, I didn't want to post up yet another Wood ID thread. Hopefully gregbesia won't mind me posting a few pics in here. We just cut this down and no one has any idea what it is. Can I please get the experts opinion? Thanks in advance everyone.

Pix could be better, but I'll guess honey locust. If so, great fuel-wood.

I never meant to hijack the thread, I just get get sick of hearing "use the search function.....". If it is preferred, I will start a thread from now on though. I'm sure I will have many more question in the future. Are the pics to small? Thanks again.

I was jus messin with ya. I think IDs are the only threads that don't get the "search" speech.

Definitely Black Cherry and Honey Locust, love em both.

Actually just put a load of Black Cherry rounds on a rack to split once they are dry as they were ridiculously hard to split green.

Thats cherry Big sapwood and growth rings are much larger than locust!

The OP has Black Cherry, and the threadjacker has Honey Locust, apparently a thornless Honey Locust. I don't see thorns in the pictures and if you had a regular thorny Honeylocust you would have mentioned the extremely large thorns, I think. Honey Locust is great firewood, but the one time I got some it apptracted a lot of wood boring insects after it was cut. I probably should have split it immediately to dry it out faster and discourage the insects sooner.

I don't start many threads, but I suggest you always start a new thread for a new topic. Nobody really minds you taking over a thread, but you'll get more response with a new topic. Some forums on other websites have relatively few threads that go on and on for years. This forum, like all of the forums on Hearth.com, tends to have short threads that last only a few days or a week, maybe two weeks, and run something like 50 posts at most. That means we are all used to checking a thread for a few days then we don't check back. New threads seem like the way to go here.

Wood Duck, thanks, good to know. I'll post my next pics and ?'s in a new thread. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.