Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CodyWayne718

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2009
Kentucky
I had to crop these on my phone so I hope their not too crappy

Attachments

• 2011-10-23_18-01-35_328-1.jpg
    2011-10-23_18-01-35_328-1.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 331
  • 2011-10-23_18-01-22_618-1.jpg
    2011-10-23_18-01-22_618-1.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 329
Blue Vomit said:
If it smells awesome, it's cherry.

Bark seems off but my best guess Cherry to....

Looks kinda like Bradford pear to me. Which if it is, it is a good score, can be tough to split by hand, but it burns long and hot and really kicks out a lot of heat. I have a couple splits of brad pear in my stove now, great stuff!

It almost smells like cherry but splits a lot easier I felt. Only thing that makes me think it's not cherry is the bark. Well the grain of the split doesn't look right for cherry either....I'm lost

I really don't think it's cherry. Wood grain and bark look a lot like brad Pear. Where did u get the wood?

Louisville Kentucky I believe is where it came from.

Brad pear is widely planted as a landscape tree , in neighborhoods, places like that. Its well known for losing branches in storms and just cracking in general. Great fuel though

smokinjay said:
Blue Vomit said:
If it smells awesome, it's cherry.

Bark seems off but my best guess Cherry to....

But ... no white band of sapwood to speak of.

krex1010 said:
Looks kinda like Bradford pear to me. Which if it is, it is a good score, can be tough to split by hand, but it burns long and hot and really kicks out a lot of heat. I have a couple splits of brad pear in my stove now, great stuff!

You got it....we have a winner!

I can buy pear, although I'm not sure...don't see many that big. Not cherry.

lukem said:
Around here Bradford pear with 12-15" diameter trunks are common, brad pear is not a species that bears the large edible fruit, it's an extremely common ornamental and has small marble sized fruits. I am positive that tree is bradford pear.

krex1010 said:
lukem said:
Around here Bradford pear with 12-15" diameter trunks are common, brad pear is not a species that bears the large edible fruit, it's an extremely common ornamental and has small marble sized fruits. I am positive that tree is bradford pear.

I have a couple bradfords in my yard, but they are only 6" or so. Planted MANY a bradford back when I was a landscaper too.

lukem said:
krex1010 said:
lukem said:

I have a couple bradfords in my yard, but they are only 6" or so. Planted MANY a bradford back when I was a landscaper too.

Yes, they get that big...

Status
Not open for further replies.