Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rshanno1

Aug 20, 2011
Central Ia
Picked up some wood that a neighbor cut and stacked when he dug a pond a couple of years ago. Started splitting a couple months ago and most of the wood I recognize; ash, oak, walnut and hickory but this I can't ID. No bark, pictures don't reflect the true extent of the red in the grain. Thanks..

Attachments

• Red Wood.jpg
    Red Wood.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 324
Wow, hard to tell from just those pics. Could be walnut. Does that one horizontal piece have a very thin bark on it? How heavy are the splits?

My two wild guess would also be walnut and mohogany.

Walnut and a very high grade imo! Lots of pretty purple! You just cut into the 15.00+ bf ;-)

Attachments

• xxxxx.jpg
    xxxxx.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 270
I'll say walnut, even thou most I have seen seems to have a pretty thick light colored sap wood. Is it real light weight?

Could possibly be water oak lol

Need to see some bark, but I'm thinking some type of oak.

I would say Black Walnut.....did it smell great when you split it? Love the smell of fresh split Walnut....

lukem said:
Need to see some bark, but I'm thinking some type of oak.
My first thought was "That looks like Red Oak." If so, with a good enough pic of the end grain, maybe we could see the tell-tale medullary rays...

I would be willing to bet on this one! ;-)

smokinjay said:

Yea I am with you.....looks like a slam dunk Black Walnut to me! I was just splitting some last night with huge dark heartwood splits looked just like that.....

dannynelson77 said:
smokinjay said:

Yea I am with you.....looks like a slam dunk Black Walnut to me! I was just splitting some last night with huge dark heartwood splits looked just like that.....

When you find it that tight and very small sapwood, Its mill time! I dream about filping that next board over and it looks like that. :lol:

smokinjay said:
dannynelson77 said:
smokinjay said:

When you find it that tight and very small sapwood, Its mill time! I dream about filping that next board over and it looks like that. :lol:

I hear ya but I found it on a scrounge already cut up. But yes this particular tree was pretty old and had very little sapwood!!

I have some Black Walnut counters in my kitchen (supposedly from the 19th century wood mill) that look like that. They are beautiful. Unfortunately most people can't appreciate them.

gzecc said:
I have some Black Walnut counters in my kitchen (supposedly from the 19th century wood mill) that look like that. They are beautiful. Unfortunately most people can't appreciate them.

gzecc, Hey, if you get a chance, could you take some pictures and post them. I would like to see those counter tops.

Status
Not open for further replies.