Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Haston

Feb 21, 2006
A tree service dumped some log lengths along my road. I honestly can't tell what it is. Cut and split, it's semi-stringy like hickory, but lighter in weight. At least I think so. The wood is fairly "white", if that's a clue. Any ideas.

Attachments

• php6cA5TePM[1].jpg
    php6cA5TePM[1].jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 363
  • phpmEOXGVPM[1].jpg
    phpmEOXGVPM[1].jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 366
  • phpIkmHKDPM[1].jpg
    phpIkmHKDPM[1].jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 358
Haston said:
A tree service dumped some log lengths along my road. I honestly can't tell what it is. Cut and split, it's semi-stringy like hickory, but lighter in weight. At least I think so. The wood is fairly "white", if that's a clue. Any ideas.

Ash!

Thanks, I was hoping, as I've never burned ash before. I live in a neighborhood of trees and get much of my wood from neighbors who know I heat with wood and then in turn look for breaks from the tree services if they leave the rounds for me to carry away. Mostly oak and hickory. Lot of poplar, which I'm rather fond of. Now ash. Thanks. H.

White ash dries quick burns very good the Kings wood.Ash stored properly will last an incredibly long time without rotting. I'm burning ash that is over 10 years old ,before I even had a woodstove only a fireplace and it burns fabulous,good score.

Ash for sure. Great firewood.

Good for you ohlongarm for proving that 10 year old wood will burn.

Yep, ash. Burned about 80% white ash last year. Had been c/s/s for about 9 months. Burned well, but no comparison to some of the same splits that I'm burning this year - the extra year makes a big difference. Cheers!

Dogpile, Ash x whatever number we are up to. I burn a lot of it because it is very prevalent around here. It splits easily, seasons quickly and puts out a good amount of heat. I'd put it above cherry but below oak in terms of heat output. However, oak can take a very long time to season so I'm always relieved to get an ash score. I read somewhere that ash was called "the firewood of kings" because of its combination of splitting ease, quick seasoning and good BTU's. By the way, nice saw ya got there. Looks brandy new.

Well as you now no doubt know . . . yeah . . . white ash.

Thanks, all, for the helpful confirmations. Ash should be good to burn next year. I guess. Still have a lot of oak two years c/s/s and still not ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.