wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ash and the second silver maple.

I think Smokinjay has mad e apretty good guess. I'd say photo one looks like White Ash too. The second looks like maple, but I'd guess more Sugar or Red than Silver - keep in mind I don't see a lot of Silver maple in firewood form, so maybe I am biased toward Sugar and Red Maples.

I'm not seeing ash in the first. The bark looks too thing and the pattern doesn't seem right. I'm not sure what it is though.

Second one is definately maple. Without lifting it, I'm not very good at distingushing maples.

First one looks like elm...

I am going to go with Ash and Silver to. Ash looks just like some I split last year. Bark was a little less defined.

#1 Ash, #2 Hard Maple, not that the bark has a brown cast not red like a soft maple.

I'm sitting here staring at a grove of yellow poplar trees out my back door and the first one does look like yellow poplar, especially given the size.

There's a nice on-line guide that can be used in this area with great bark pictures:

http://www.wvforestry.com/Tree ID.pdf

(The url will not post properly; the correct URL has a % sign and a 20 where the blank is after Tree)

or try this one (that I made using tinyurl):
WV Tree ID

Nice ID guide.
Ya the is code for space but can't be typed in a url link so folks just drag and highlight the link as he typed it, hit control C to copy it and then Control V in your browser to paste it and it will take a little bit for it to load but you'll get the PDF.
Sometimes tree ID guides remind me of a cartoon I saw years ago. It was of a fly fisherman's fly lure collection where he had a couple dozen flies, each with elaborate different names but every damn fly looked the same!
:)

I'm throwing my 2 cents in for ash on #1 as well but would go along tulip maybe too. Maple on #2 but not silver.

ruserious2008 said:
Nice ID guide.
Ya the is code for space but can't be typed in a url link so folks just drag and highlight the link as he typed it, hit control C to copy it and then Control V in your browser to paste it and it will take a little bit for it to load but you'll get the PDF.
Sometimes tree ID guides remind me of a cartoon I saw years ago. It was of a fly fisherman's fly lure collection where he had a couple dozen flies, each with elaborate different names but every damn fly looked the same!
:)

Being an avid fly fisheman, I'd love to see that cartoon!

I do a lot of html programming and was surprised I wasn't able to use certain tags that would have at least let me use a percent sign in plain text! Odd software for this forum in that it recognizes some tags and not others that are quite common.

I wasn't sure if everyone knew they could copy/paste to tinyurl seemed like a reasonable alternative!

Status
Not open for further replies.