wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Stick

Feeling the Heat
Oct 26, 2011
Capital Region, NY
Just scrounged some wood recently and I cannot positively ID them. One I believe is Poplar and the other is still in the back of my truck. I think it may be willow. I may have just wasted my gas and time getting a load of Willow. Dumb Me. Seems very light, my Fiskars x25 popped the big round in half with about 1/8th the power I would normally swing it at. Please check it out. As soon as I hit it with the saw and there were huge flakes flying I knew something was amiss.

Attachments

• poplar.jpg
    poplar.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 416
  • willow.jpg
    willow.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 390
I think you DO know what type of wood you've got. Looks like willow and poplar to me. Not the greatest firewood, but I have burnt some of both and they do burn. i prefer poplar to willow - poplar seems to burn better.

Thanks for posting that...my dad gave me a few pieces of 2 unknown species to identify. I identified one as persimmon and the other I couldn't figure until now... I think it may be willow. All I knew was that it split ridiculously easy, had a weird, almost sour smell, and was pretty unimpressive in the stove.

Both willow and popple can smell terrible. We had a crew cutting this past week and I had them clear a bunch of popple. Some was not bad but others you could smell a hundred yards away. Terrible stuff it was. Willow I've never burned except on brush piles.

Maybe it's just me, but the second pictures looks like the soft maple that we have around here.

Funny thing is I stop at this ladies house and ask her about the fallen trees in her woods and she says I can take them. Go home, change, grab my stuff and go over there to score. As soon as my saw hits the willow I start thinking something is not right here. So I buck the tree up and load my truck with rounds. Way too light. At least now I know what no to take. Oh well I'll split it and bring it to my folks camp in the spring time. Was spraying water when I hit it with the axe. HA HA on me.

Be good for day fires to take the chill off in early fall.
Fast burning & not over heat the house all day.

That first pick looks kinda piney to me.

#1 on left I believe is your willow. #2 on right is Aspen (popple). Some folks call this poplar, aspen is not a poplar!

These look similar to Douglas fir or Lodgepole pine, but I don't know if those species grow in NY.

Oregon Bigfoot

nrford said:
#1 on left I believe is your willow. #2 on right is Aspen (popple). Some folks call this poplar, aspen is not a poplar!

The following species are called aspens:

* Populus adenopoda: Chinese aspen (China, south of P. tremula)
* Populus grandidentata: Bigtooth aspen (eastern North America, south of P. tremuloides)
* Populus sieboldii: Japanese aspen (Japan)
* Populus tremula: Eurasian aspen (northern Europe & Asia)
* Populus tremuloides: American aspen (northern & western North America)

ikessky said:
Maybe it's just me, but the second pictures looks like the soft maple that we have around here.

+1- looks like silver maple if you ask me.

smokinjay said:
That first pick looks kinda piney to me.

Has that straight grain doug fir look but. Leaves had dropped and had a bunch of knobby growths on it with small shoots coming out of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.