Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viper0023

Dec 4, 2011
Long Island, NY
I don't know if I can call this my first scrounge but a neighbor has recently switched from wood to gas and they have left over 3-year seasoned splits of wood up for grabs. I am wondering if any one can ID the type of wood it is from a picture a tree of the same species and if it is worth taking/burning.

fxcepx.jpg

2hmfp8g.jpg

The bark is paper-like (not birch-like) and the tree "sheds" its bark every couple of years
66e03k.gif

Unfortunately, I don't have pics of the splits but I may take some and post pics to find out the species.

Sycamore, on the lower end of the hardwood. Of course, this year with the warm temps its a great tree. I'm running low on the shoulder season stuff!

wishlist said:
Sycamore, on the lower end of the hardwood. Of course, this year with the warm temps its a great tree. I'm running low on the shoulder season stuff!

For Sure!!+1

I believe it's very close to beech on the btu scale not bad at all!

Thanks guys for the fast replies. This will be great wood to use so I can save my ash. I looked up the BTU's and it's 19.5. I can't complain since it's split, seasoned and ready to go! I can't believe it is December and it was 57F today!!!!!

May I throw another one at you?

dxbwv5.jpg

Hard to tell from the pic, but the scaly bark looks like black cherry .

Viper that is good that the wood is already split as this wood can be a bit testy for splitting.

Backwoods Savage said:
Viper that is good that the wood is already split as this wood can be a bit testy for splitting.
Absolutely no question, it is Sycamore. It is really tough to split so you got a real deal. It is not bad wood at all. About the middle. I will take it anytime I can get it. Will be burning some next winter that I cut last winter.

I think that tree is European Sycamore aka London Plane tree. Notice that that inner bark is yellowish, not white. American Sycamore has almost white inner bark. I expect the wood is similar to American Sycamore.

Wood Duck said:
I think that tree is European Sycamore aka London Plane tree. Notice that that inner bark is yellowish, not white. American Sycamore has almost white inner bark. I expect the wood is similar to American Sycamore.

Yeah the inner bark is yellowish.

Thanks everyone for all your help!

Second one appears to maple of some sort, I'm going to say Soft maple.

The OP's second post not second photo in first post. First post both photos are sycamore.

Not much to go on in the second picture. I think it resembles Red Oak, but I can't tell.

nrford said:
Second one appears to maple of some sort, I'm going to say Soft maple.

I'd have said it was abused sugar maple. Smacked around a lot. I've seen that fungus in sugar maple around here, too. Be very careful not to breathe in sawdust if you cut any of it; could play hell with sinuses.

Merry Christmas.

It is Sycamore! I am not always sure from a picture, but not this time, both are Sycamore. Second picture is just a different angle, light exposure of the first one. Look at the first limb from the bottom on the right. Stake my career on it......Sycamore!

Viper0023 said:
May I throw another one at you?
Can you get a pic of a freshly split piece? I kind of looks like Maple, but hard to tell...

.i have a cord of sycamore to burn next year....cut a few dead standing ones this summer..let me know what u think of the sycamore......

tfdchief said:
It is Sycamore! I am not always sure from a picture, but not this time, both are Sycamore. Second picture is just a different angle, light exposure of the first one. Look at the first limb from the bottom on the right. Stake my career on it......Sycamore!

I agree with you on the pictures of the tree - both are sycamore (European Sycamore aka London Plane Tree), but there is a second post with a picture of a split. The split is what I suggested might be oak but it is hard to tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.