Wood ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mo381

Aug 3, 2011
North Central Indiana
Started clearing out some blown down trees this morning. Not sure what this is, possilbly slippery elm? It's in a good mushroom woods in north central Indiana if that helps. Several large trees down from last spring if I can get them out.
Thanks, Mo

Attachments

• 1329313612042.jpg
    1329313612042.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 519
  • 1329313622164.jpg
    1329313622164.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 523
  • 1329313632126.jpg
    1329313632126.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 526
Dont look like the elm I cut around here. You'll know fer sure when you split it if it is.

That works for me, Thanks!

I too think it is Ash. When I see something that looks like Ash I guess I mean it looks like White Ash, the most common Ash around here and the one I can most easily recognize.

Not so sure on the ash. Is it heavy or light? The tops of the ridges are flat (very common in Poplar). Ash ridges usually have more of an edge to them. Smell it. Does it smell like lumber? Does it smell sweet? If it's heavy and smells like lumber then you might have ash. If it's light and has a sweet smell too it, you have poplar.

Stax said:
Not so sure on the ash. Is it heavy or light? The tops of the ridges are flat (very common in Poplar). Ash ridges usually have more of an edge to them. Smell it. Does it smell like lumber? Does it smell sweet? If it's heavy and smells like lumber then you might have ash. If it's light and has a sweet smell too it, you have poplar.

The flat ridges made me think twice about ash as well

White Ash. Fo' sho'.

Ash bark and poplar bark look similar, but the end grain and color is 100% NOT poplar. Poplar has a thick white sapwood and green heartwood. Ash looks like the picture.

mo381 said:
Started clearing out some blown down trees this morning. Not sure what this is, possilbly slippery elm? It's in a good mushroom woods in north central Indiana if that helps. Several large trees down from last spring if I can get them out.
Thanks, Mo

I cut some blowdown that the bark was just like that, the stuff I cut ended up being real light so I think it was a small basswood, not sure what the end of the wood looked like.

zap

Looks like white ash to me . . .

I think poplar. ash around me has larger recesses in the bark and is not flat surfaced. split a piece and check the color. poplar I see has blueish tint in the heart area.

I will head back out the the woods and give it a lift and smell test, maybe grabs some closer photos also. Thanks for all the info.

mo381 said:
I will head back out the the woods and give it a lift and smell test, maybe grabs some closer photos also. Thanks for all the info.

A good picture of twigs with buds and leaf scars will remove all doubt.

Looks like white ash from where I'm sitting.

I don't like white ash for this one - perhaps basswood - as mentioned, if you can find and post a photo of a twig, it will sort this out a lot faster. Cheers!

try to split one, if its stringy its gonna be elm otw most likely ashieroo.

I should be able to get pics of some twigs but it was blown down and broke off about 5' above the ground last spring or longer so no leaves or new buds. Some of the bark was coming off near the break.

Most definately ASH no if's and's or But's.

The flat-top bark, bark furrows and end grain don't look quite right, but I still want to say Ash. Can you get a split pic? Does it split easy? Do any of the smaller limbs have that Ash pinhole in the center?

looks just like Basswood I recently cut up for a friend. If it is you can pick up one of those rounds easily.

Ehouse

Status
Not open for further replies.