wood id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohio woodburner

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2009
NW Ohio
I got this on a recent good fortune scrounge. Neighbor said it was swamp willow. It's def a soft wood, really light. untitled.pnguntitled2.png .

Last winter, i took a very similar tree, same bark and light weight from near an Iowa pond. The others still there and growing appear to be willow. Will likly dry fast and be used for lighting stove and shoulder season stuff next season.

does it have a stink when you cut into it? If it does have a stink, and being it has that pinkish heart, I would say it's probably some kind of willow. If that's the case, +1 for leaving it behind. Get that good cherry, though!

Sure looks like Silver Maple to me. But then I've never had to cut any Willow.

Thanks guys for the replies. Just hasnt sure what species it was. I took it all it was quite a large scrounge. Couple more pics to go withuntitled3.png untitled1.png

Reactions: PA Fire Bug
That tree on top of the pile in the post starting with "Thanks guys for the replies" looks like Hackberry. That's some good stuff. All in all, I see willow, cherry and hackberry.

Thanks ralph, i had another wood id thread going on the hackberry awhile back. I had started this scrounge a several months back thinking i had alot of time to move the wood but my MIL owns the property and she just sold so it pushed me right along. not sure how much wood i ended up with but it was quite a bit.

Thanks ralph, i had another wood id thread going on the hackberry awhile back. I had started this scrounge a several months back thinking i had alot of time to move the wood but my MIL owns the property and she just sold so it pushed me right along. not sure how much wood i ended up with but it was quite a bit.
Nice haul for sure all preemo,hackberry is wonderful,sometimes confused as cherry but the smell is different,

Ohio, I really like that cherry. I see you are also blessed with a bit of poison ivy.

Ohio, I really like that cherry. I see you are also blessed with a bit of poison ivy.

Ya Dennis there was quite a bit on there. Seems like when they grow on ditch banks the poison ivy loves it. I've never had it Dennis and and can pull it off bare handed. This wood is 4-5 yrs away from being burnt so i don't mind pulling it off and splitting and stacking it. Knocking on wood as we speak too <>

It doesn't bother me much either....except that one time. Wow, that was awful. I guess the mistake I made was to burn it. Got a terrible case of it and want no more. We cut some trees with PI on every year but so far it doesn't bother. I recall rdust when he got some of our wood he was a bit picky because some had PI on it. I had not given it a though until then. I guess he gets it bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.