wood id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scotvl

Burning Hunk
Oct 23, 2009
southern ontario
anyone know what this wood might be, i was thinking elm or hickory. The grain is actually a little darker then the picture shows, the wood underneath it is a piece of ash by the way. thanks wood id.jpg

The bottom chuck in the picture resembles that of Walnut. One of the best smelling splitting wood that I've came across.

Reactions: ScotO
I think I see Hickory.

The bottom chuck in the picture resembles that of Walnut. One of the best smelling splitting wood that I've came across.

X2. Bottom looks like a piece of walnut to me.

Yeah, that bottom split looks like walnut. Got over three cords of it in my stack. one of the best smelling woods when splitting AND burning, IMO. Top split, the bark resembles elm or pignut hickory. Split in the back of the walnut looks like MWN said......hickory. You got a mixed bag of some good BTU's there!

Reactions: Thistle
thanks for the replies guys heres some more daytime shots of the same wood, it all came from the same tree so i guess its either hickory nor walnut. Ive never had either but Im going to go get more, its just that Ive got to walk about a 150 yards to get to it at the back of this brush pile.

20120920_140535.jpg 20120921_120935.jpg 20120921_120945.jpg 20120921_120955.jpg

Definitely Black Walnut. Chamfered pith in heart of that & much rarer now related Butternut is a dead giveaway.Hickories,though distant cousins,have solid pith like most woods.

Thanks for the help thistle, just a couple of questions. What is a chamfered pith and I've never had walnut before, is it good burning and how is it for seasoning time? Thanks

Thanks for the help thistle, just a couple of questions. What is a chamfered pith and I've never had walnut before, is it good burning and how is it for seasoning time? Thanks

Your 2nd pic of that split walnut chunk in first post here shows the chamfered pith,pith is the true heart where a tree began growing.Look at a unsplit round of any log & it should be easy to see.

Its good burning,not as much heat as the Oaks,Hickories,Sugar/Hard Maple,White Ash or Black/Honey Locust though.Smells wonderful (to me & several others here anyway) when splitting,sawing,shaping,burning or drying in the stack.

Dries fairly quickly,normally 12-18 months depending on your location of & time of year.Compared to 2-3 yrs (sometimes even more) for most all Oaks.I dont get much Walnut,but normally have a small amount of scraps/offcuts from milling + tops/branches that get burned every Fall/Spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.