Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane N

Feeling the Heat
Oct 16, 2012
West Central MN
I've been helping my father split some pine he received from a neighbor with my X27. I finished splitting it all and found that he had a few rounds of a wood I haven't seen before. I asked him about it and it was given to him by someone who tried to split it by hand and had a hard time. My father has a splitter so they gave them to him.

I was curious how tough it actually was to split, and it was indeed a bit rough with the X27. But not so bad that I'd break down to use the splitter unless I had a ton of it.

Anyways, I took a few horrible pictures in the rain while splitting. This first picture is after I split it. I thought it was interesting to see the red in the split. The round it is sitting on is the same wood as well.
2012-10-23_18-07-22_897.jpg

Here is a picture of another one waiting to be split:
2012-10-23_18-07-31_347.jpg

Here are a couple others tucked in there next to the one above (on the right):
2012-10-23_18-07-40_267.jpg

It is hard to capture these in pictures due to them being moved around in the dirt so many times and them being wet from the rain.

Yep, classic boxelder--red streak on white wood. The butt end of logs also should have the characteristic amoeba-shaped dark center.

You guys are good at this stuff. Thanks!

One more vote for Box Elder. All I can see that helps me with the ID is white wood with red streaks, but that is probably enough to get this one right.

+1
May also be called "Manitoba Maple" in your neck of the woods. Not great firewood, but it'll burn.

But it is still a maple. It burns okay but I wouldn't go out of the way to get it. However, if one needs wood....

My father just happened to have it dropped off, so I figured I'd split it rather than let it rot on the ground. It'll get burned, but I don't think he'll go out of his way to get some (unless he wants to spite me). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.