Wood in a basement. Is this a bad idea ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My whole winters wood is down there. About 6 cords. Never had any bug issues. It gets rolled into place on pallets with a pallet jack, then topped up to joist height.

For the comment above on mice - if they want to get in, it is almost impossible to stop and it isn't usually related to having wood in the basement. I catch more of them between Spring & Fall when there is very little wood down there.

Possible bug issues might be related to climate & environment though, I suppose?

Yes, most definitely. I wouldn't put anything green or wet in there. It's covered all year (or two of them), then uncovered right before I move it in. I do it at the end of a long sunny dry spell, usually end of September or so, maybe into October depending on the weather & what else I'm doing. There have been a couple of times in the past where the weather caught me & some went in with some surface wet on it, I just set up a dehumidifier for a month or so & kept a couple of basement windows open. No issues that I saw.

When I 1st started burning I found out oak takes more than a summer to dry. So I had about a 1/2 cord of wet wood in the basement all winter. Still no bugs but condensation on the 2nd floor skylights. Still amazes me at how much water evaporated out of that wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.