Wood In A Pile Instead Of Stacked

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckdeuce

Feeling the Heat
Feb 11, 2008
Western, PA
Found a guy today that actually has "Seasoned" wood. Finally!! He has has a bunch, that was all cut and split two springs ago. He has some that is stacked and some that has been just thrown into a pile. Does one season better? I know stacked wood looks like it might season better, but is that true? Any experience with wood that has just been piled up?

He is asking $50.00 for as much as I can get into my pickup, which I think is more than fair. Plus he is an honest guy.

Thanks - Chris

ckdeuce said:
Found a guy today that actually has "Seasoned" wood. Finally!! He has has a bunch, that was all cut and split two springs ago. He has some that is stacked and some that has been just thrown into a pile. Does one season better? I know stacked wood looks like it might season better, but is that true? Any experience with wood that has just been piled up?

He is asking $50.00 for as much as I can get into my pickup, which I think is more than fair. Plus he is an honest guy.

Thanks - Chris

I pile it, and if its 2 years old good stuff.

In my experience, piled wood will have pieces that are not as seasoned due to lack of light and being blocked from the wind and sun. Plus the wood at the bottom I would stay away from because it might have some mold on it from being down there. I would go for the stacked wood, chances are this will be seasoned better, hopefully it is raised too on a rack or poles on the ground.
But honestly it may depend where the wood is placed between the two choices, is any one in a sunnier spot or a spot that gets more wind? Go for that one. I know a lot of guys that just pile the wood and they have good success, I myself pile it first then stack as soon as I can

Just look at the wood too, is it grayish or does it look tan? Pick up some pieces and knock them together, do you get a thud or a knock. A knock is fairly seasoned, a thud is wetter (more moisture) wood.

I think for your price you can't go wrong but again I would go with the stuff that sounds and looks more seasoned, probably the stacked but check and you will come up on top :)

JFK said:
Just look at the wood too, is it grayish or does it look tan? Pick up some pieces and knock them together, do you get a thud or a knock. A knock is fairly seasoned, a thud is wetter (more moisture) wood.

I think for your price you can't go wrong but again I would go with the stuff that sounds and looks more seasoned, probably the stacked but check and you will come up on top :)

Nice and gray / brown in color and that sweet, sweet sound of a clink when you knock them together. I was so happy when I saw it! Sounds goofy I know. I left 4-5 seasoned cords at my old home when we sold it, and I am in a huge pinch trying to find good wood. I have about 3 cords of not so dry wood that I have been getting from different sources, but it not ideal for this year. Came across this guy out of luck from a Church friend. Thanks to Church, my heart has always been warm, and now our home will be also!

I bought a moisture meter on ebay that was shipped Monday..... Hope the U.S.P.S. is on the clock tomorrow so I can take the meter with me.

I know, I know.... I go from talking about Church in one sentence and in the next I'm wishing that people from the Post Office have to work on Christmas Eve just so I can get a stupid moisture meter........

Tell him that stuff at the bottom of the pile is sitting in water. Once you take the good stuff off the top, he won't be able to sell that stuff. Tell him you will take it all for 85/cord.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Tell him that stuff at the bottom of the pile is sitting in water. Once you take the good stuff off the top, he won't be able to sell that stuff. Tell him you will take it all for 85/cord.

Nice!

ckdeuce said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:

Nice!

lol

Stacked is better than heaped.

LLigetfa said:
Stacked is better than heaped.

I cant think of anyone selling 2 year old wood stack or piled either way thats as good as you can hope to find and for 50 bucks a truck load Wow the wood Gods are smelling down on him........

I can understand that a wood monger cannot afford to stack his inventory. Some will pile the wood on asphalt and turn the piles with a loader. Others make many small piles instead of huge piles. Now and then you might actually find some that store the wood under cover like this.

http://www.tdc.ca/firewood.jpg

LLigetfa said:
I can understand that a wood monger cannot afford to stack his inventory. Some will pile the wood on asphalt and turn the piles with a loader. Others make many small piles instead of huge piles. Now and then you might actually find some that store the wood under cover like this.

with a front end loader things are sweet.

LLigetfa said:

If i had that pile of wood in my yard....I would never have to cut another stick in my lifetime!!

ckdeuce said:

Thanks - Chris
Chris, where are you at in Western PA? I live in Moon(Airport area), I could probably help you out next year if you need it. I got a ton stacked, but it is my first year burning so it would be best to wait a year. The Cherry is burning great this year.
Enjoy the stuff you are getting now, sounds like a fair deal.
Greg

We've been piling our wood for many years because it's a real labor saver for us. That being said I'd have to say stacked wood seasons faster. The bottom line for me would be the '$50 a load'...I think it's a pretty good deal.

Well based on anecdotal evidence I think I can say stacked wood seasons faster since I tried burning some chunks earlier this Fall . . . some of the chunks were tossed on top of the wood I stacked in the Fall of 2008 and some came from within a pile that had split in the Fall of 2008 (but I ran out of time before the snow came) . . . it's purely anecdotal and not scientific in any way, but it seemed a though the chunks in the stack burned better and were drier (i.e. no hissing) than the chunks from within the pile.

It should be noted however that this pile was only a year old . . . and the pieces on top of the pile burned pretty well.

golfandwoodnut said:
ckdeuce said:

Thanks - Chris
Chris, where are you at in Western PA? I live in Moon(Airport area), I could probably help you out next year if you need it. I got a ton stacked, but it is my first year burning so it would be best to wait a year. The Cherry is burning great this year.
Enjoy the stuff you are getting now, sounds like a fair deal.
Greg[/quote

Greg... Wow! Thanks for the kind suggestion / offer! I am in Grove City about 60 miles north of you. I grew up in Clairton though... How about those Pens.... Thanks again and have a great Christmas!

Chris

Yes, stacked wood will season a lot faster than some just thrown in a pile.

For the price though, you should count your blessings and just go get what you can. If you happen to get some from the bottom that is wet, just re-split it and stack it for a time and it should be okay.

btw, we've run into some wood in one of our stacks that is really wet as one piece of roofing that we use must have rusted out. I almost put it aside but decided to see what it would do in the stove. It burns just fine although we do leave the bypass open for a little longer to make sure moisture doesn't go through the cat.

ckdeuce said:

Thanks - Chris

Did you get a chance to get your wood yet? Curious to see how much you can fit in your truck. If you rake it you could get a lot! I'll be passing through your town tomorrow morning on 79 from Cleveland to Altoona.

GatorDL55 said:
ckdeuce said:

Thanks - Chris

Did you get a chance to get your wood yet? Curious to see how much you can fit in your truck. If you rake it you could get a lot! I'll be passing through your town tomorrow morning on 79 from Cleveland to Altoona.

Yep... Stacked it as tight as possible and I would say that I got close to a 1/2 cord. The guy and his son even helped me load, and they were stacking it just as tight, if not tighter than I was. Good people!

I've done both (stacked and just tossed in a heap).

Stacking is worth the efffort for the average typical home owner. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.